Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2003 7:40:30 PM EDT
Just updated my site with some pics of a AK pistol made from Laser cut flats. Also a pic of a rifle built using the flats. Working on a Galil using the same type "homemade" receiver. Will be posting more pics of the AK & Galil builds.

www.stenparts.com
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I visited your page and that pistol looks like LOTS of fun!  How are you planning to do this so that it will be post-ban compliant...  (weld mag, non-semi, or something else (I assume you are not a FFL).  EDIT:  Well, I looked at your webpage again and perhaps you are FFL/SOT...  Will this be a LEO only item...?

Also, do you know how one needs to modify a Sten MK III to make it a legal Non-Gun?  I bought two MK III kits and when I finish some of my MANY ongoing projects I want to build one as a dummy.  I have looked at the ATF rules and it seems they suggested contacting them for advise WHICH BELEAVE me is something I will do before I build...

Just the same, do I need to fuse the barrel closed (weld)?  Is there any way to do this such that you can actualy have the action so that it could cycle so it looks and works like a real sten (except for no firing)?

I also had seen some indication that the Bolt may need to be welded to chamber which would obviously make it impossible for me to have a model that actually can be manipulated.

Oh yea, if anybody is interested I bought two Mk III Sten kits and I only really plan on one dummy gun so if someone is interested I have the second kit posted for my cost of $75 + S/H (it's listed in the EE!  If it doesn't sell, I may build both as dummy guns and then make one of the two into a cut-a-way display piece....

Thanks for any advise
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen several "dummy" stens over the years.  THe best one I have seen (mark II incidentally) as far as look and feel had the bolt cut and the front third or quarter welded to the chamber.  You could insert regular mags and manipulate the charging handle.  Of course I always wondered if during production the guy had actually screwed up since it appeared to me that he had basically made the whole receiver, ie a machine gun, and then welded it up as a dummy.  I almost bought it but talked myself out of it.  Definitely check with ATF.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Making a dummy gun is an "iffy" kind of project. If you have the skills to make a dummy, then it should not be a problem to do it right. But you must be sure to follow through, because it will be clear to a jury you also have the skills to build the real thing.
#1 Ditch the barrel. Make a dummy out of round stock, solid steel.  Weld it to the trunion, both ends. DO NOT keep the unused barrel.
#2 weld the bolt face.  Make sure there is no trace of the pocket that holds the cartridge base.  Use hard surfacing rod if available.
#3 (option 1) Put the bolt in the receiver, and weld a large block of metal behind it, so that the bolt cannot be removed without removing the block, which cannot be removed without destroying the receiver. It must be big, there must be a lot of welding.
#3 (option 2) Select a tube with a smaller ID than a standard sten, machine the bolt so it will fit.  You must still do steps 1 and 2. I think this will satisfy the "readily restorable" clause.
 If you can think of other extra things that can be done, do those too. Welding the bolt into the tube would be a good one.  I doubt you could ever get busted after that is added to the other steps. Another example, weld a disc in front of the barrel-trunion and shorten the cocking slot so that, were the disc removed and a barrel installed, the bolt would not travel far enough to chamber and fire a cartridge.  This would change the tube so it would be different from a sten reveiver.  Another plus.
You absolutely cannot have any other sten parts available beyond the parts in the dummy. No spare trigger groups, bolts, barrels etc.
 You can still be busted if you have a spare sten kit around.  It will be considered "intent".   If you do a slight  modification, i.e. a dribble of weld on the tip of the barrel, (easily removed) and a tiny block in the receiver, ( held on with a tack weld) and you have a spare bolt, you're going to jail if you attract the attention of the law enforcement community. If this is a big concern, you might document the assembly, with photographs, demonstrating you welded in the solid barrel before you cut the rest of the body of the tube for the parts installation. You also need to examine your lifestyle. If you are the kind of person who attracts law enforcement attention, this may not be the kind of thing you ought to be doing. If they want to get you, you will be charged anyway. A baseball bat is nothing, unless you are considered a danger, then it's a deadly weapon.
  The ATF busts about 800 people a year.  There are more that one million unregistered machine guns in the US. (ATF's estimate) If you follow this process faithfully, you are not going to be worth busting unless you have other questionable items they would be more interested in.
 What NOT to do.  Make a working sten and promise yourself you will weld it up later. Big mistake.  Don't even go there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Working for a class II makes building the pistol easy - Its an assault pistol now - I sure hope the ban sunsets next year. There are way to many neat toys to build. Almost welded a 75 round drum to it  but I cant bring myself to do it. As far as your dummy sten goes I would by a solid aluminum dummy receiver. That will save alot of greif.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
tokarev:

Where would I but a SOLID aluminum dummy receiver... If I do that, did I waste my money on the sten parts kit or would it still use the parts?

mg34ss:

Thanks for all the great advise!  I do have a high profile due to my little webpage and I really have NO DESIRE to spend any time in club fed or loose my gun rights over a wall display!  I still need to get the Cosmoline off my Sten Parts Kit and from there I want to try and understand how the Sten works...  Then I will work to put a plan together and write the ATF for confirmation that the work done will be adequate!

Thanks Greatly!

Oh yea, I do really love your pistol & Sorry for hijacking your Thread!

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Whoops I made a mistake - I dont know anyone doing a alum. MkIII dummy tube. What I do know is you need to plug the barrel,weld it to the trunnion,and use a smaller ID tube. Then I would not cut the mag well hole in the tube and make a plug for the receiver tube and arc weld it to the tube so the tube is completely pluged. No sear hole either. Just my take on a dummy from what I've heard in the past. :-)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
on these parts kits, are the bolt and sear cut up, or as they sould be on a normal sten?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
When you buy a Sten Parts kit, the kit looks to contain everything except the receiver tube...  None of the internals are cut or modified...  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Uploaded a couple more AK pistol pics.
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/showphoto.php?photo=6507&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
that missed the last web site update
www.stenparts.com
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top