Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/25/2002 8:28:29 PM EDT
Howdy!

I have the Kvar '74 kit and am gathering the US-made parts to comply with the doofus laws.

I bought the Tapco US-made gas piston -- got it today.  I notice it seems to be longer than the one that came in the kit.

Is this a problem?  Can it be milled down, or did I buy the wrong piston?

I was hoping to keep the Bulgarian Brake, but maybe it's simpler to buy a US-made copy.

Are there any chrome-lined US-made '74 brakes out there?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for helping me yet again, CampyBob!

I can't seem to unscrew the Bulgarian gas piston, so just lining the two up, it appears the US-made piston is 5mm longer.

I guess I could buy the K-var furniture, but I was hoping to avoid the longer buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh-oh.  I don't see a pin.

I'm hoping to have InRange do the build for me, so I guess Troy knows about the pin, etc...

Are there instructions out there about this?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, taking a cue from zougou, I ordered my gas piston from Global Trades. It too appears to be about 5/16" longer than the original piston. I am planning on having InRange build mine also. Either he won't mind (I hope) or he is going to hate us!!.

Don't feel bad zougou, I didn't find a pin either, but I didn't look very hard.

BTW, did anybody who is planning on having one of these kits assembled think to order a scope rail mount to go on the bare receiver?

*edited to avoid trouble with the spelling nazis
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Ha!  K-var has a special going on now with 10% off instead of the regular 5% for online orders.

So, I ordered the side plate ($30 seems high for a piece of metal, but what're you going to do) plus a sling plus the buttstock cleaning kit I feel they should've included in the kit.

Hey, I'm planning on having Inrange (Troy) build mine, too!  Uh-oh, I better get my parts in soon so I get mine before you!

I should be getting my receiver next week!  Yay!

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
HAHA! You are too late. I just got my gas piston in Thursday night and I am going to pick up my OOW receiver Friday morning. Hopefully I will have it all shipped by Friday afternoon. Don't feel bad though, there is probably a shitload of people from AK-47.net or somewhere else that already have their parts in his hands.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, well.  Troy said it would be a three month wait, so I'm prepared.

Well, at least mine will have the optic plate on the side!  

If at all possible, can you please post a picture of yours when you get it back?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
 Boys do it right the first time.I got to thinking about the Optic side mount plate and ordered it from Tantal with a Gen 2 Kobra optic.I got the Black furniture K Var Bulgie 74 kit.Im going to keep the Original muzzel brake on it.I bought the Forged/milled trigger group and gas piston from Global.I already have a USA pistol grip.And Im also putting it on a OOW reciever.That will make 6 USA parts.So I will still have the Bulgie furniture and muzzel brake on it. I will get Troy to soldier it in place and cut/flie/grind the Bayonet lugs off. The 5.45 is a great rifle to put a scope/optic on for the lack of recoil.I would put one on the first time around. Sounds like we are going to have some nice rifles when hes through.Shit I havent sent mine off yet and can't wait to get it back.My OOW reciever and side plate should be here this week or next.Send pic's when ya get it back.Cheers War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha, we can have a '74 Club.

The first rule of '74 Club is that you don't talk about the '74 Club.
The second rule of '74 Club is that you can point to a map of the world and locate Bulgaria with your eyes closed.

or...

People always ask me if I know Troy Sellars...

I have a Kobra and I can't for the life of me adjust the eleveation.  It shoots way too high.  I think something's wrong; that or I broke it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Zougou- have you tried to use a small screwdriver on the center of the knob of the Kobra up/down dial? Loosen it, gently pry up the knob, turn it to give yourself some more adj travel, re-tighten the screw in the center of the knob. When you finally get it aimed right, do it again to make '0' your base in case you bump the knobs (it'll be easier to spot and reset). The side plates seem to vary some with their angle, but the Kobra has more than one lap of adjustment in it.

Now if I just find a cheap 5.56 AK kit to round out my collection. Somebody shove a 5.45 kit at me before I build a Galil!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Well zougou, I hate to disappoint you BUT...I did order the side mount. I was just asking as a reminder for anyone else who may forget to do it. Hopefully, I will ship it Saturday morning, assuming I can reach InRange on a Saturday.

WarDawg, have you gotten your gas piston yet? If so, and from a different supplier, how does it's length measure up?

zougou, I don't know if I can post pics when I get it, but chances are I can e-mail pics to anyone who wants them or to someone who can post them for me. Although, maybe by then(I hope) I will be a member and be able to post them myself. I need to join just for the benefit of having the 'search' function back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Mbsk01, you got me, uncle! uncle!

www.hunting-pictures.com/ offers free picture hosting.  They brand your image, but it would work.  Then I can have something to stare at while I wait for my '74.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, from the looks of things, you will be staring at krinkfreak's pics first and I might only beat you by 1-2 weeks. It seems to me that there are plenty o' other pics of 74's floating around that you don't need to see mine that bad. But if that is the case I will e-mail them to you when I get some.

BTW, if you don't already, you should join us in CHAT some time, I'm on currently and usually during the weekends in the evening.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#15]
This is the deal on my USA AK 74 gas piston.It is the same lenght as the SAR 2's piston.But about 4mm longer than a Bylgie piston in the 74. My invoice says it will fit a Mac 90 , AK 47 & AK 74.I posted over on the Global forunm.Im waiting on a reply from the manufactor.War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a reply back from Glaobal Trades(Jimmy) about the longer gas pistons.He said that the extra lenght doesn't hurt and will function fine.As long as itt isn't so long that it hits the back wall in the gas block.Like I said my Glabal Trades Gas piston AK 74 is the same length as the SAR 2's but longer than the Bulgie's AK74's.I would think its a thumbs up as long as it doesnt hit the back wall in the gas block.Cheers War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for looking into this and posting, WarDawg.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top