Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/20/2017 12:10:38 AM EDT
I have an M92 and a N-PAP DF, and I'm thinking about SBRing the N-PAP receiver and then swapping the front ends, at which point I'd put a side folder on the M92 receiver.
For what it's worth I spent 5 years as a job shop machinist, but I've been out of it for a while and have very little in the way of tools left; it'd basically be a drill press level job.
Is there anything to this besides milling out the rivets, swapping the front ends and re-riveting?
Thanks.

ETA: Guns in question

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#1]
First, make sure that the receivers are what are serialized as opposed to just the front trunnions as on many import AK's, though I believe that Zastava on their export rifles serialized the receivers as opposed to the trunnions. If it's just the front trunnions that are serialized, then you will not be legally allowed to swap trunnions. So long as all that is good to go, you'll need to press out the barrel pin and barrel before drilling out the rivets and leave the barrel out in order to properly re-rivet the front trunnion in. If you swap bolt carriers and bolts you shouldn't need to worry about headspace/swapping pistons, however I would re-check headspace just be sure you didn't adjust it out of spec when pressing the barrel back in. Swapping the bolts/carriers will give you mismatched serial numbered parts in relation to the receiver, if that's something that would bother you I'd keep it in mind. If it would bother you, you may need to either weld/hard solder the barrel pin channels up and re-drill once correct headspace is achieved or drill and ream for an oversized barrel pin. You would then also need to drill out the blind rivets for the pistons and reset them once swapped. Other than that, another issue you may run into is that the front trunnion holes may not line up correctly when switching trunnions, but I'd imagine they'll either be right on or close enough that you could easily open them up.

Given all of the work involved, I'd just SBR the M92 and modify the rear of the receiver for the underfolder or side folder since you planned on that anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The receiver will be serialized. I would just modify the M92 for a side folder. It can definitely be done with a drill press and hand files. The only thing is you would need to weld up the existing rivet holes. Your other option is to modify the M92 for an underfolder. If you chose to swap receivers you will have to buy all the riveting tools and barrel press tools, at which point you might be better off just starting with a new receiver.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't realize I'd have to pull the barrel.
Alright, well I'd really like the M92 to be an underfolder, so I suppose I'll just have to convince the wife that I need a Bridgeport . . .
Thanks guys.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top