Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2017 1:18:46 PM EDT
I just ran across these guys today, has anyone here heard of /see/used one of their 80% milled receivers? 

https://tortort.com/
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, he's very popular in the building community. Do a search over at the AK Files and you should get a lot of info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks a lot, now I want to build a milled AK...
View Quote
Well I figure if I have to experience the pain of an unfulfilled build, I may as well share the misery 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I did one of Tortort's 80% Galil receivers and was extremely pleased.  I did it myself with simple techniques - drill press, angle grinder, dremel, and of couse files.

Using the supplied dimensions and measuring very carefully and using quality cobalt metric drill bits, I was able to drill all the required holes.
Using an angle grinder caregully with a thin cut off wheel I was able to cut the bridge and ejector area out and finish with dremel and file.

If you have scrap receiver sections from a demil these help for connecting the dots and removing some of the trickier cuts - like the trigger and selector area on the bottom - The selector slot on the bottom I used a dremel cut off wheel and old section of demil receiver screwed to it as a guide - came out great.
Barrel install was fairly easy - no issues with mine.  I had an existing used barrel, but timed to headspace without regard for exisitng block orientation and just re-drilled for the new orientation - Yes it means I have two gas port holes under the block - one new on where it timed and the old one  - which was covered.  no big deal to me as it works.

The only thing I would say is the finish is a little rough - You can sand it smooth.  I used KG Gunkote flat black and it came out great.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top