User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know if anyone cares, but here is the tools and jigs I made...............I'm bored, so I'm posting more pics

everything needed to build an AK........and a drill press, out of pic to the left

rivet head set.....goes upright in the hole

goes something like this.....there is a rivet in there.......press down on bolt with press....and, squished rivet

took a while to grind this 3/4' Grade 8 bolt, but it fits inside the trunion and works fine

this is the bucking bar for the trigger rivets....ground to fit around the rails in the receiver (dont know how else to explain it?)

the jig for pressing in the barrel.....slides in from the top, down through the mag hole. the trunion (right behind the barrel pin) rest against the tall part, and the wedge goes under the "mag-catch" part of the trunion (once again, dont know how else to explain it?)  The aluminum spacer with the foam in it was for, between the end of the barrel and the press...to not mess up the barrel threads while pressing in the barrel..foam is to keep it in the end of the barrel ?

end mills......7mm and 4mm....worked perfect for virgin barrel

I'm sure some of you are laughing at my red-neck tools....but Hey, they worked just fine...lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I dont know if anyone cares, but here is the tools and jigs I made...............I'm bored, so I'm posting more pics

everything needed to build an AK........and a drill press, out of pic to the left
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205458.jpg

rivet head set.....goes upright in the hole
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205901.jpg

goes something like this.....there is a rivet in there.......press down on bolt with press....and, squished rivet
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_210020.jpg

took a while to grind this 3/4' Grade 8 bolt, but it fits inside the trunion and works fine
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205608.jpg

this is the bucking bar for the trigger rivets....ground to fit around the rails in the receiver (dont know how else to explain it?)
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205535.jpg

the jig for pressing in the barrel.....slides in from the top, down through the mag hole. the trunion (right behind the barrel pin) rest against the tall part, and the wedge goes under the "mag-catch" part of the trunion (once again, dont know how else to explain it?)  The aluminum spacer with the foam in it was for, between the end of the barrel and the press...to not mess up the barrel threads while pressing in the barrel..foam is to keep it in the end of the barrel ?
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205518.jpg

end mills......7mm and 4mm....worked perfect for virgin barrel
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/IMG_20120306_205749.jpg

I'm sure some of you are laughing at my red-neck tools....but Hey, they worked just fine...lol

What did you use the 4mm for on the barrel? That's pretty big for retaining pins.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Your AK turned out really nice. I didn't realize you could rivet with a press either... thought it needed a rivet gun or air hammer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 6:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
What did you use the 4mm for on the barrel? That's pretty big for retaining pins.

That was for the medium size pin that holds the rear sight base on the barrel.  The front sight and the gasblock are smaller pins....i didnt use either, so I didnt need the third drill bit....
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That was for the medium size pin that holds the rear sight base on the barrel.  The front sight and the gasblock are smaller pins....i didnt use either, so I didnt need the third drill bit....

Ah, that's right. I've been in suchka build mode (on my 5th one this year, not all mine though) and the rear hinge block on those use the same 3mm pin as the FSB. When I'm done with my last one I'll get started on my AMD, Bulgy 74, Romy G, and AK-105 kits. I think I'll take a break from AK's after that... for a while.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Here it is, 100% complete......finish and all.

DuraCoat takes a couple of weeks to harden 100%, so I will go shoot it some more, but not abuse it for awhile.

This thing was really fun to build !  Thank You Gumplumber and others who convinced me to go rivets........all though.....I still might try screws someday
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Im really glad my first build was a screw build because it taught me how and what clearances had to be on a working gun also I could adjust things before clamping them down... thus it was very informative but since it was my first build and I wanted to keep this thing forever ( how ever long I live) i wanted it to be more stable for the long haul and also wanted to learn how to do rivets... Now its totally riveted and a traditional build.. 500 rounds later it still worked fine and I have no regrets.. But if you ask me now what and how to build I still say rivet it and learn you will have to do it anyway in the future.. If your limited on help and advise a screw build is a good way to learn... But would I trust it over 1000 or 1500 rounds,,,, Not really, I didn't loc-tite any of the screw till I knew it shot right and when I took it apart to rivet it together it took heat and a good allen wrench to get them loose not one was just a easy turn it took some pressure and on a couple I rounded the key way and had to wedge a bigger allen wrench in to remove the screw...whould it have come apart in the long haul... Maybe not but it was not the Original way to do things so I opted to do it right...Yea I agree the trunnions are not worth as much now as if they were original but Im not selling my first born anyways........
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#8]
One  learns absolutely nothing from a screw build, that would make it easier to do a rivet build later.

All one gets are ruined parts that are no longer usable with correct rivets later.

I submit it takes MORE skill and effort to ruin a kit with screws than it does to build it correctly with rivets.

Link Posted: 3/10/2012 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I beg to differ.. I learned how to adjust the front trunnion for proper mag fit,,,I learned how to adjust the rear trunnion for top cover fit, I learned to adjust the mag release and trigger guard for proper mag fit, Thank you Curtis for your trigger guard plates, yes I do agree this could have been picked up with a standard rivet build but these lessons learned doused me to check and adjust these things when I riveted my first build together, I don't need to say anymore on the subject. But I know no one needs my respect but I do respect all opinions being right or wrong...
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I beg to differ..

you can differ all you want . . . yuou.]'re still wrong.  

I learned how to adjust the front trunnion for proper mag fit,,,

Mag fit is controlled by the selector stop plate . . . NOT the front trunion.  

I learned how to adjust the rear trunnion for top cover fit,

Top cover fit is dictated  by the rear sight base.

I learned to adjust the mag release and trigger guard for proper mag fit

Neither part is  adjustable.  

All you've done is demonstrate your complete ignorance of even the most basic facets of an AK build.

, I don't need to say anymore on the subject.

Please don't  - any more tales of your hack-jobs and I might weep for the poor rifle.

but I do respect all opinions being right or wrong...

Why on earth would you respect 2+2=5?  I sure don't.  We're not dealing with an "opinion" here.  We're dealing with fact - and the fact is, by your own words, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.  It ain't personal, I don't know you, and you're probably a swell guy, but you're absolutely ignorant on this topic.  That is a fact, not an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Now!!!

Your suppose to be arguing over, whether or not you like the OD / Tan zebra paint scheme ???
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey Now!!!

Your suppose to be arguing over, whether or not you like the OD / Tan zebra paint scheme ???

Can I praise the "neatness" of your work without liking your choice of style of color?

Also, were you planning on doing the front end and the stock later?  If not, what is the reason for leaving them ?

I'm suspecting the idea was to have it transition from the dark to the light through the stripes.  If so, you did well.  I just don't care for the color or the pattern in general, but your execution is very nicely done (in my never-humble opinion).

Link Posted: 3/11/2012 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Now!!!

Can I praise the "neatness" of your work without liking your choice of style of color?

Also, were you planning on doing the front end and the stock later?  If not, what is the reason for leaving them ?

I'm suspecting the idea was to have it transition from the dark to the light through the stripes.  If so, you did well.  I just don't care for the color or the pattern in general, but your execution is very nicely done (in my never-humble opinion).

<Gp>...........you suspected right......and you are allowed to not like the style/color scheme, while praising.....lol  Thanks

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Im glad this a hobby for me and not a living I like sharing my views and not being bitter, Again you are the expert and thank you for the feed back even though its negative.. I do find those tools interesting also Id made very few of mine but have found many of them on Gunbroker at a good price.....Also used to race a lot of Dirt Bikes on enduros on my trusty CR250R and my Al Bakers XR250R... Intresting way you produced your tools, well go out and shoot your new stick...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top