Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You Mobil 1 guys have me thinking. Drank the Amsoil Kool Aid years ago and it's the only motor oil I use in my Cummins Diesel and RCF. I wonder how that would work????
View Quote

Amsoil makes (or at least used to) a gun oil. Slip 2000 or Cherry Balmz are my preferences.

Now that you’ve tried Frog Lube, do FireClean next.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Was there some one that actually fried eggs with it....saying it was basically a food grade cooking oil?  

Sorry in advance if I am way off on this statement

View Quote

That was the FireClean debacle, turns out it was vegetable oil
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a container of it several years ago, and used it a few times with good results.

People started having issues with it and I stopped.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
@GunnyFitz

It gunked up my HK. HK armorer who did work on it (like at HK USA) said they dont recommend the FrogLube or SEAL1 equiv
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Frog Lube is okay, but I highly prefer Go-Juice - both their oil and 0000 grease. There's no wintergreen smell, but I think I can live without my guns smelling like Tic Tacs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Frog Lube is okay, but I highly prefer Go-Juice - both their oil and 0000 grease. There's no wintergreen smell, but I think I can live without my guns smelling like Tic Tacs.
View Quote

Ironically, that's the stuff Geissele gives you when you buy one of their items - correct? Thats how I stumbled into anyway. They even sent me a dozen of those small squeeze packs too. - about how much do you use, and do you spread it over ALL the movie pieces or what? Damn, one of our members asked me for my Unused FL so I need to break that out for him!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Amsoil makes (or at least used to) a gun oil. Slip 2000 or Cherry Balmz are my preferences.  Now that you’ve tried Frog Lube, do FireClean next.
View Quote

Well, you were correct, and as a Preferred Member saved some cheese! I went ahead and bought their Cleaner & Lubricant so I'll report back to you all on my observations. Granted the reviews were on THEIR Website but if it works as good as their Diesel Oil I'll be better off than FL. !!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok my friends... Let the Amsoil Cleaning begin!!
I'll be back to give you my 2 cents on what my Magical Mystery Potions do! Nothing better than Amsoil Preferred Member 2 Day shippingl.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]
For my pistols and ARs- I like and use FL paste for cleaning and have been using it successfully for years. I use a small paint brush and brush it on, +Boresnake the barrel, wipe it all off and then oil/grease with ALG &Militech). It is by far the easiest way to clean for me as it is a paste, it cleans very well, it isn't toxic, it doesn't spray everywhere, it smells good, and tub lasts for years. I try to train often so round counts are high and I have not had issues with malfunctions or abnormal wear. It just doesn't feel like a lube to me, although it works great on the sliding door and shower curtain rod.

I did use it on a 10/22 once and a few years later I pulled it out and the bolt was covered in crud so I can attest to it gumming up if left on and used for storage. A hairdryer fixed that quickly.

I just ran out and ordered a tub of track lube to compare!

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For my pistols and ARs- I like and use FL paste for cleaning and have been using it successfully for years. I use a small paint brush and brush it on, +Boresnake the barrel, wipe it all off and then oil/grease with ALG &Militech). It is by far the easiest way to clean for me as it is a paste, it cleans very well, it isn't toxic, it doesn't spray everywhere, it smells good, and tub lasts for years. I try to train often so round counts are high and I have not had issues with malfunctions or abnormal wear. It just doesn't feel like a lube to me, although it works great on the sliding door and shower curtain rod.
I did use it on a 10/22 once and a few years later I pulled it out and the bolt was covered in crud so I can attest to it gumming up if left on and used for storage. A hairdryer fixed that quickly.
I just ran out and ordered a tub of track lube to compare!
View Quote

Did you receive my PM Mez?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Frog lube is trash. The paste is okay for knife blades tho
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
If there are any members enthusiastic of Frog Lube. PM Me ASAP!
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Mobil 1 and Lucus red sticky grease
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
AHA - ANOTHER ONE FOR YOO'S GUY's
"Military Grade" Shooter Lube!
Saw the infamous video on a Facebook Ad and obviously all the reviews are inflated about it being the "Best Gun Cleaner Ever" - especially the ones saying " I wasn't paid for this great review either!"  
Was going to post a video on it but too many ridiculous ones to choose from. Cmon, ya gotta laugh...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
toss it in the GARBAGE and buy some MOBIL 1 synthetic

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]
At my previous job we used frog lube on our Sig MCX rifles. A couple months later we had a weapon fail to fire at the range. Too much frog lube in the BCG and it had congealed. We changed back to CLP and never had a problem again.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have some, works fine for me though I've gone to Slip the last couple years.  Never understood the negativity really but I also wasn't using it in desert conditions or anything.
View Quote

I had issues in VA during winter, probably around 30 degrees.  Not very deserty there.

FL was the "latest and greatest" when I joined ARFCOM. I bought a sample set, had one trial weapon, and tossed it after my rifle gummed up at the range.  I was shooting at least monthly, too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a bunch of it for free at the SHOT show years ago and tried it out.  Worked fine for me, in fact the rifle I put it on wasn’t fired for well over a year after application.  I followed the instructions exactly and wiped all the excess off as required so maybe that’s the difference?  All I can figure is some people just goop it on and leave a layer like one would with grease if it’s actually bonding parts together like glue.

I haven’t used it since, it didn’t seem any better or worse than any other lubricants.  My go oil to is Slip 2000 and Go-Juice for grease but ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I only use it when cleaning barrels. After scrubbing with bite cleaner,  I soak a patch run it through then dry patch until I get a chance patch. Before I shoot I’ll run another dry patch. I haven’t had an issue.  I definitely won’t use it on any moving parts, that job goes to Slip or Remgun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Frog Lube works well...if you're shooting/cleaning/lubing.../shooting/cleaning/lubing repeatedly over a short period of time like a weekend outing.  

But NEVER store firearms lubed with Frog Lube before giving a total cleaning and lubing like CLP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#21]
As stated, to each their own!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#22]
FL extreme works excellent inside and out of firearms.  FL paste is ok but needs to be wiped off pretty well.  FL liquid is a no-go.  I also had to use Froglube solvent and super degreaser for maintenance as well when using FL or it will build up on firearms internals.  I used Froglube products for years and they worked well preventing rust on my work guns which were carried daily in a semi-salt water climate.  Froglube also lasts longer in higher rates of fire in my experience also.  

I have moved away from FL because they are expensive, time consuming to use properly and you must be mindful of how they are used but it does work well.  Froglube is good kit.  I switched back to Breakfree CLP and Breakfree LP for all of my firearms maintenance.  Breakfree has been around forever, I used it in the USMC, it can be found on-line, box stores etc for a very reasonable price.  It works very good for what it is.  Obviously the above is my experience only.  I have no connection to any of the aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Good gouge Marine! I never fault an individual for going with something that works for them! Absolutely no need to edit anything here brother! Speaking your mind is highly encouraged! Semper Fi!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top