Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2017 8:39:01 AM EDT
does anybody use brake cleaner to clean the carbon and grime off the internals of the gun?  I figure a shot of break cleaner on all the internals would remove the grease,  old oil,  and carbon... then just clean the barrel,  lube all,  and reassemble.

Thoughts?  I imagine I can't be the first guy who has thought of this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it in a well ventilated area
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I get the non chlorine type.  It cleans everything but you will need to oil it back up after cleaning
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've used it on my 1911 on a few occasions where I have had to so a deep clean.

I wasn't sure about ar-15s though.

I don't really intend to use oil, but rather valvoline moly fortified grease or neco moly slide if it will run good...im not a huge fan of liquid oils for guns if I can help it  (although there are plenty of good ones)
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I always make sure it's non-chlorinated. Chlorinated can eat anodizing off an AR-15, or anything anodized.

But I use it after every range trip. Works well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I use gun scrubber which worked well for me over the years. I once tried a non-chlorinated brake cleaner on my M1 Garand once. It melted the paint off the gas block. Never used it again. The gun scrubber seems to be as good but not as strong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use gun scrubber which worked well for me over the years. I once tried a non-chlorinated brake cleaner on my M1 Garand once. It melted the paint off the gas block. Never used it again. The gun scrubber seems to be as good but not as strong.
View Quote
M1 gas cylinders are stainless and don't take to coatings very well anyway.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I use it, works well. Its has been the catalyst for a couple projects... Ive ruined a forend & a finish, so be careful where you spray.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gun Scrubber is good however non-chlorinated Brake cleaner is supposed to be the same thing but costs a bunch less.    That's why people recommend that over Gun Scrubber.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used it for years. Works great.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I use it to clean quite a bit, but where safety glasses when doing it. Potentially Lots of backsplash from spraying parts with brake cleaner, and it sucks badly when you get it in your eyes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just make sure to use the non-chlorinated as others have stated. Never seen it harm anything. I have seen chlorinated cleaner distort some cheap rubber O-rings / seals and not others. I have also seen carb cleaner do the same on rubber that the brake cleaner did no damage to and vice versa. Crazy. If I was gonna spray the bcg I'd remove the extractor O-ring or make sure it was Viton.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've used it for years. Works great.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the best (Jerry Miculek) uses it.  I have personally never tried it myself.

See the video below - Watch complete or the brake part cleaning portion starting at 12:50 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuWlomfnf4
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't Powder Blast essentially just non-chlorinated brake cleaner anyway?

I've been using non-cl CRC Brakleen for a while now- works just like powder blast for a few bucks less a can.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Does brake cleaner affect any of the polymer parts?
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does brake cleaner affect any of the polymer parts?
View Quote
You have to use the NON-CHLORINATED Brake Cleaner - then it will not harm plastic / polymer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the dog out of non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Followed by a lube. If I can't lube it, I don't use it. Just use it smartly and if in doubt, take a little break and research the specific question you have about it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Brakes cleaner works great. Just be careful if you have an adhesive grip like a Talon on your gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Carb cleaner works too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Make sure it's non chlorinated but then go nuts.  Brake Cleaner is my go to gun cleaner when I'm feeling lazy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Question for you guys,

Is non-chlorinated brake cleaner safe to use on polymer pistols like Glocks and Springfield XDS??

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Question for you guys,

Is non-chlorinated brake cleaner safe to use on polymer pistols like Glocks and Springfield XDS??

Thanks
View Quote
Yes. Done it many times.

I mainly use mineral spirits now since I have a small parts washer and mineral spirits dries residue free as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
MPRO-7 is safer and more effective. 

I use brake cleaner on complicated .22lr firearms that I don't want to take apart.  Spray it with brake clean, hit with high pressure air.  Re-oil, and back to war. 

I only use brake cleaner on an AR15 if I am going to paint it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Question for you guys,

Thanks
View Quote
the brake cleaner leaves a white residue on my glock frames. carb cleaner does not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have 2 issues with brake cleaner: (1) it really removes oil, so I always follow up with a thorough spray of CLP then blow it out with compressed air. Works great with pistols too!  (2) Geissele recommends grease (not oil) on the trigger surfaces so that takes a little effort.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Both non-chlorinated and the regular Gun Scrubber can and have damaged plastics. Maybe not a Glock or M&P frame but I have seen it damage plastics/polymers.
For any plastic part I would use the polymer safe Gun Scrubber. Even the more durable plastics like glock, xd, m&p. For metal I do use a lot of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
All three of those can damage the finish on wood too. Especially oil finishes or shellac.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I use either brake cleaner or Carb cleaner (whichever is on sale at WalMart) for cleaning out the crap inside of whatever gun I'm cleaning. It blows all the powder and lube out leaving a bone dry and clean surface. Put some fresh lube on and it's good to go. You can spend a lot more on products that do the exact same thing.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top