Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2017 6:15:28 PM EDT
Broke on the first pass of the second time I've used it.

I've never had issues with the boresnakes.

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Otis has always seemed like a good product. Write a letter with your concerns send it back and see what happens. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
My ripcord has been fine.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Just call them and they will send a new one. That's what they did for me. Good company.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW I don't use and never will use anything other than USGI style sectional cleaning rods and kits because of this OP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't mind the boresnakes for quick cleaning. I thought I'd try an Otis Ripcord because I like the Otis cleaning system, unfortunately it can't handle what the boresnakes are able to.

This broke while inside a 16" 9mm barrel and was a pain to remove.

I did contact Otis and their customer service is absolutely top notch, however I will use the new Ripcord for handguns only going forward.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the same ripcord and have had no issues cleaning my 16" MPX barrel.

Otis will replace it for free.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine has been fine. Admittedly, I have not exactly "abused it for years", though, so I can't comment on the future.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I too would like to report no problems, and would have up until about a month ago. Same thing happened to me. I have one in every caliber. After the pain of getting it out of the barrel, Im returning to the rods.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you pull it through with a pair of plyers on the aglet?

Seriously grab the cord and that won't happen. Been using ripcords since they came out and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you pull it through with a pair of plyers on the aglet?
View Quote
This, most likely. I've used that exact ripcord for many years without issue.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This, most likely. I've used that exact ripcord for many years without issue.
View Quote
I suspect neither of you have used this Ripcord with a 16" 9mm barrel.

The forward length you pull on is unable to reach the muzzle end of the barrel before the Ripcord's largest diameter area makes it impossible to push farther forward.

In order to do so, you have to connect a length of Otis pull cord via a thread to thread screwed into the Ripcord and the Otis pull cord. Then you pull on the Otis pull cord which drags the Ripcord behind it.

So, no. No I did not grab it with pliers as that is physically impossible with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never seen this system before, so the broken cord in the photo was screwed to another cord to make it long enough to go through a carbine (v pistol) barrel?
The part that tore off was the part threaded into the second cord?
View Quote
Correct.

I assume that if I simply used the Otis ripcord on a regular pistol barrel that there would have been absolutely no issue or failure. However, the ripcord is designed to be attached via threading into the standard Otis cleaning system. By using it in this manner, the way it was designed and intended to be used (if necessary, of which it is with a 16" barrel) it just does not provide the reliability that I have found for over a decade with the BoreSnake products.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the rip cord.

I use the 9mm/357 pistol cord in my MPX and use the cable extension to pull it thru.
You can attach it to either end.

Maybe you got a bad one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you yank too hard?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought the Otis ripcord a few years ago and I have not manged to break it yet.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top