Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2017 12:13:36 PM EDT
I know some love them, some hate them, some say you don't have to get every bit of carbon off your boat tail, etc. What can I say, I still feel like my DI could pop up at any moment. (Sneaky lil' bastard )
So, for those that use the B.O.N.E. or the Cat or whatever tell us what you like and don't like and what tools you'd recommend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the BONE with my Apf Armory bolt. Did I need it? Nah. Never gave me problems, I just got it because it was a good deal and why not? It did pull a little carbon, but honestly if I hadn't gotten it for something like 30% off or more I wouldn't bother. Back of the blade on a Boker Subcom-F did plenty well enough, just took a bit longer.

Recently swapped to an AP bolt, so we'll see how that goes. Tolerances or finishes or something may yield a different result and make the BONE magically worth it.

I'll keep using it since I got it. But I wouldn't buy another one, and probably would recommend it either.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried all the tools mentioned. The BONE, the CAT M4, etc. While they work to a degree, they leave too much behind for my liking.

Nothing beats the old fashion pick and brush. I use the Otis kit and simply assemble the pick to clean out the chamber star, bolt carrier group (the front and back area where the fire pin goes in), and the tail and between spaces of the bolt. I then use the lock lug scarpper to move around a patch to pick up everything. You can just buy the accessory kit here: http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=60CD670731CC43B58814515FBACA00C1

I do know in the army what they would do is take a cleaning rod patch holder and use the screws on that to scrape the tail of the bolt and the inside of the carrier. It works very well.

Comes out nice and clean, not a single area of carbon anywhere. You can use the otis kit anywhere else too such as the rail slides of a handgun. The brush is nice to spread oil/grease to the rails of your bolt/carrier.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a brass casing or a pocket pen knife.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Kroil and a piece of Scotchbrite pad works pretty good too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pretty long brass scraper tool I purchased from either Brownells's or Midway USA, I forgot which site. It works very well.  FYI I have no connection to the aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
A piece of .308 or .30-06 brass is all you need if you want to clean off the carbon. 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the CAT 4 tool and Slip 2000 Carbon Killer to finish all removal.

A number of people I've talked to were not satisfied with the BONE tool.

Unless you want a tool to take with you, or can't afford the cost, Brownell's sell a couple of very effective tools with screwdriver type handles.
These do a perfect job but are aimed more at a professional gunsmith who does AR work.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent the $ on the CAT M4.  I used it 1 time & said to my self this is slow & pointless.  Never used it again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the bone tool. It does a decent job. Nothing is perfect, but I have no complaints . Wardawg
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the G&G one and am pretty happy. Has  metal scraper and also can clamp tail around a piece of scotchbrite (comes with several scotchbrite pads cut to size). S mple and seems to work well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the CAT tool. I like it. Cleans the Bolt tail very easily.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Bone tool here.  Works pretty good for me.  I don't let them get very dirty between cleanings though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever tool you use, first apply a good carbon cleaner, let soak for 15 minutes, brush with hard nylon bristle brush, and wipe with cloth.  Repeat, allowing an hour soak this time.  You'll find less to scrape away is left behind.  You may want to try a few different carbon cleaners.

I use my $60 fleabay ultrasonic and it works very well, saving time and effort.  Put part in plastic dish with cleaner, which you can save and reuse.  Place dish in water in ultrasonic.  Try brushing a bit between runs. Always run ultrasonic for 5 minutes first, to eliminate air, then add part.  Warming helps as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a brass casing or a pocket pen knife.
View Quote
What do you do with the brass casing?
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A piece of .308 or .30-06 brass is all you need if you want to clean off the carbon. 
View Quote
Please. I'd like to hear more. How is this done?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
If you feel the need to scrape (personal preference thing), an empty brass case works very well as is and some folks flatten the bullet end and use as a scraper. Simple and free.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
Go to about the 22 minute mark and see how he cleans / scrapes with a .223 / 5.56 empty case. The profile of the case neck makes it an ideal cleaner. Good guy and good video for those new to cleaning ARs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuWlomfnf4
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go to about the 22 minute mark and see how he cleans / scrapes with a .223 / 5.56 empty case. The profile of the case neck makes it an ideal cleaner. Good guy and good video for those new to cleaning ARs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMuWlomfnf4
View Quote
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top