Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2017 10:51:53 AM EDT
I have always used fishing tackle boxes, and I might again, but I need something larger.  The ideal is to have one container that has pistol, rifle and shotgun brushes, patches, other cleaning tool and implements, along with some simple tools (screwdrivers, and star and Allen wrenches) and cleaners and lube- basically, everything other than a full size cleaning rod that you might wish you had with you at an outdoor range session in the boonies.

It won't have to be huge, but I like the idea of something that could take a tumble, and everything stays where it should be.  I think most toolboxes are out, but will look at these as well.

What should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Big thing is how much stuff do you want to carry?

There are tacklebox style organizers for a .50 cal ammo can.  That would be heavy duty, but not as quick to access as a fishing tackle box, and not really good for holding bottles of solvent, etc.

On the other hand, this is on sale:
http://gerstnerusa.com/gerstner-sale/1901g-sale
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I look at it the same way as taking spares along with the boat. Probably best to just tow an identical boat, or in this case, bring an identical gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy an Otis IWCK or IMOD and add or subtract brushes,jags,small tools as needs require. I can't imagine needing or carrying more than that.

ETA:  These cover 5.56/7.62/9mm/45acp/12ga and any other overlapping cartridges $60 shipped

ETA2 I don't know what the fuck is going on with linking EBay, but search "Otis IWCK" in all categories
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd post pics but photobucket got me.

I have range stuff in a tool box. The toolbox is a Stanley FatMax box. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a couple water proof tackle type tray boxes and those hold small parts and cleaning supplies.

When I go to training I also bring a complete back up gun. Have never needed it though since I keep my rifles in top shape....both clean and properly maintained.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive always used a tackle box as well. The one with the trays that pull out at an angle.

I just decided to upgrade to a larger box. The plano large one that opens by the lips splitting down the middle. I doubled the number of bins inside it and have way more storage in the main bottom compartment inside. Now in addition to rags and patches, my cleaning solvents and oils fit inside too.

I have brushes and jags from rifle and pistol inside it. Along with a couple military style rods and a couple hoppes 3 pcs ones just incase. Also got my bore guides stashed inside too.

If its a range tool box your looking for instead of a range cleaning/light tools box, then maybe areal toolbox would serve you better.

Good luck finding a good solution!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
KleenBore PocKit Cleaning Kits a USGI cleaning kit and a LA Police Gear Tactical Bail Out Gear Bag to hold it all.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the little piano divider boxes then throw them in the rangebag as required.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
While this is not exactly what you are talking about, but I made this range crate...the good thing about it is, I can customize to bring what I want.  The top tray comes out, can swap,out supplies for what I need for that day.  Can load plastic parts bin in the bottom

Since I took these pictures, I added a LED light bar to help to see in low light

Just an idea....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Otis. Have for years. They have a nifty military kit that includes tools, they go on sale periodically.  They have one with a multi tool and one with the milspec rod that's a bit cheaper. I still use the round one.  I like the compactness.  I use an large tactical duffel bag as an armorers made by TAG, it holds loads and has side compartments and a big dump duffel compartment for my LLBean Range Bag and large tools, fixtures etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
At home my weapons cleaning kit is old Plano 3 hinge fishing tackle box.  My gunsmith boxes are one Plano fishing tackle box and another wooden one that sits on the bench.  Range box is a red plastic toolbox.  Keep pro timer, stapler/staples, mags, spare batteries and target pasties.

Work/down range cleaning kit is in .50 cal cans.  Portable gunsmithing bag is a USGI mechanics tool bag.  Rest of stuff is in office/armory.

CD
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have this case that I keep all of my cleaning supplies in:

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/tactical-range-box-mtm.php
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top