Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2017 4:42:04 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldn't find it. I have a Noveske black nitride bolt that I want to clean in a ultrasonic cleaner. For those who knows, is the black nitride safe to clean in the ultra sonic? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think the nitride won't be harmed unless it was improperly applied

I have cleaned numerous painted, anodized aluminum items in a science lab ultrasonic cleaner without having any finish issues

but why do that? Just soak and brush :)

@jerrylo913
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just no DI water unless you are cleaning stainless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just no DI water unless you are cleaning stainless.
View Quote
no DI? Sorry what is DI?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Deionized water
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, i personally have never had issues with cleaning nitride. Its super smooth and not a whole lot sticks to it, even on the bolt tail that sees the most buildup of carbon. Usually my nail is enough to scrape off whatever is there after a short wetting down with clp.

Try a small piece (extractor or cam pin) and see how it affects it first, that way its cheaper to replace if its messed up.

Let us know how it goes.

B
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Nitrided steel is perfectly safe to ultrasound clean.  Distilled warm water and a couple drops of dishwasher detergent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Only because so many people get this mixed up, the black is not the nitriding. Nitriding is adding nitrogen to the surface of the steel to make the steel itself harder and more corrosion resistant.
The black finish is applied over that. Or if it was plasma nitrided a plasma oxidation as the last step to give it a nice smooth, hard, finish that also enhances wear and corrosion resistance.

Regardless, even if the black is one of the weaker applied finishes, the bare but nitrided steel will still be hard and rust resistant even if it looks worn.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top