Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2017 5:39:34 PM EDT
Just purchased a used G MK8 rail on the EE that has small areas of paint remnants from the previous owner. I plan to strip those areas clean with Kleen Strip and was wondering if it would remove the white Geissele markings as well. It's not a lot of paint, just mainly in the MLOK cuts so I was planning to use the aerosol spray stripper, water and nylon brush.

This is my first time stripping paint from rifle. Back in my Army days we just repainted, never removed it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used that product. But when I used CitriStrip on painted bakelite AK mags, it didn't bother the ink stamps underneath.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Goof Off. You can buy it at pretty much any grocery store.

You spray it on, wait a few seconds, then wipe off. It takes a few times but eventually everything comes right off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just purchased a used G MK8 rail on the EE that has small areas of paint remnants from the previous owner. I plan to strip those areas clean with Kleen Strip and was wondering if it would remove the white Geissele markings as well. It's not a lot of paint, just mainly in the MLOK cuts so I was planning to use the aerosol spray stripper, water and nylon brush.

This is my first time stripping paint from rifle. Back in my Army days we just repainted, never removed it.
View Quote

Aircraft Stripper. The stuff in the light blue can.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always download the Army instructions.  There somewhere around this site.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could always download the Army instructions.  There somewhere around this site.
View Quote
That's assuming you used the army approved spray paint. Just soak it in oil for a few hours to get it loosened then it should scrub off with a nylon brush.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for everyone's responses. Used the spray Klean strip and nylon brush. Paint came right off and didn't harm the rail markings. Be advised that stuff burns like crazy on direct skin contact.  Used gloves but when scrubbing with brush it was splashing on my arms and legs. Now I know to wear long pants and sleeves next time...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top