Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poor lube and poor protectant.

There is much better stuff available.
View Quote
It's not much better than water as a rust preventive.

Corrosion prevention test

Scroll down to the test coupons.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Perfect for Sig P320 FCU after cleaning with brake cleaner
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I do like Rem Oil for use on my .22s. It is light enough to not interfere with operation and it cleans carbon and un-burnt powder handily. During a days shooting I will wipe the feed ramp with a q-tip wetted with Rem Oil and give the .22 action a shot of Rem Oil every couple hundred rounds or so and it keeps the gun going.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep a can on top of the safe for quick wipe downs, I use lucas gun oil for lubing parts that need it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's good on bolt actions, but that's all I'd ever use it for.

Edit: LOL just noticed I already replied to this thread like a year ago, that's funny.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Synthetic automotive engine oil. Seriously.
It's engineered to lubricate from the southern heat to Klondike cold, all the while providing  anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, & friction modifiers.
View Quote
This. I use 10w30 synthetic on all my firearms and it's been working great so far. May want to use 5w30 for colder climates, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience so someone searching sees all sides of Rem Oil...it is all I have used almost exclusively for over 20 years on all types of firearms for cleaning, lube, and protection. No rust, no sticky residue, no build up, no problems.

It is light. It is inexpensive. I like how it penetrates into all crevices and between all parts.

If I was going to operate in a constantly wet environment I might look for better protection, however, Rem Oil will always be a go to for me. Wish they sold it gallon cans.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I know this is an old thread but it continually comes up as a topic. There are two ingredients according to the MSDS. Here is the link. Read for yourself.

https://www.remington.com/sites/default/files/MSDS-RemOil_Liquid.pdf
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be hard pressed to use it on a fidget spinner let alone any of my firearms.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No rem spray
Slip 2000 ewl 30
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So something weird, I think they changed their formula recently. Just bought a can of Rem Oil and instead of saying it has Teflon, now it says "with 2x more lubricant than previous Rem Oil formula" on the can.
View Quote
Awww, they changed it?

I remember in the 1990s when somebody sprayed a bunch of IIRC Garand clips with various oils and hung them over his shower for a few months.
The least rusted clip had Rem Oil on it, beating RIG, WD40 and I don't remember what else.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Good for topping off an unreliable .22 multiple times during a range trip (slide and 1st round of mag), but otherwise meh.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]
It is what my family used as CLP, before I knew what CLP was.  That stuff was always around.  Seemed like Fred Meyer would have a sale on the stuff once a year, and I would get 2 spray cans for like $5

When I moved to AK, and we shot in the cold, I mean COLD, a clean gun with RemOil always cycled.

I finally realized how bad of a lubricant it was, and stopped using it for anything but cleaning the exterior of a gun until it was finally all gone.

That smell is burned into me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
It's something I'd use in a pinch, but yea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I only ever bought one bottle of it, it seems like I have been mostly using it on a patch on a glock cleaning rod in my pistols as a quick swab. It doesn't seem to leave much residue in the barrel, it's really thin. Some oils I put on patches leave obvious globules along the barrel when I look through with a bore light.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I might have to try it as a super cold weather lube.

Clp didn't perform too well, about a 6/10 failure to fire rate at 0° in my ruger american. Cocky coyote chilly dog worked fine. Figured out the clp gummed up on the firing pin.

Might also have to try 5w20 since I take that in the truck now.

Axle grease was fine last year in the handguns and clp worked fine on my centerfire rifles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So something weird, I think they changed their formula recently. Just bought a can of Rem Oil and instead of saying it has Teflon, now it says "with 2x more lubricant than previous Rem Oil formula" on the can.
View Quote
I noticed this also.  It is thicker, much thicker.  It also used to come in spray can, now I only see it in pump sprayers.

I used it for lube but don't count on it for being top shelf on my guns.

In the guts of the ARs I don't have I would use Cherry Balmz.  I have seen it work very well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top