Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2017 3:54:01 PM EDT
I bought a LH bolt carrier group from Stag with their Nickel Boron finish. After firing less than 100 rounds, I found the BCG did not clean up very well.
It cleaned up some, but no where near like new. There were also carbon deposits on the bolt as with any standard bolt. Was I wrong to think a BCG
with Nickel Boron finish cleaned up easily to like new condition?

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a firearm not a piece of art.  There is no magic coating that is going to come back to factory new condition if you actually use your firearm.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I had bad luck dealing with Stag. Nickel Boron is going to darken with use. It doesn't loose its lubricity though.
If you want easy cleanup here is MY experience.

Obsidian BCG by TR enabling cleans up super easy and is slick.

Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black.  Easy clean up

If you want BLING and easy clean up

Young National Match BCG.  Its chrome.

Salient Arms International  BCG  Easy clean up and its Gold.

These all clean up better than Nickel Boron.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Good information. Thanks, TXLineman.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I never had a NB type bolt/carrier, but I do have experience with Chromium Nitride finish on the JP Enhanced bolts. It turns black with use and no matter how much cleaner I put on it, it never turns back shiny.

Until I use Iosso bore paste on it. Then it's so shiny I could use it as a mirror.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
A NB BCG in a piston, is the bees knees, ya can clean it up with a cocktail napkin, or not even do that, doesn't need it really.  In a DI, yeah it discolors.  No biggie.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a rifle to stay new in the box.....then don't shoot it.  If you shoot it, it'll get dirty.  Don't expect a rifle to go back to new once you've fired it.  Obsess about something more important.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you'd need to go chrome.  I have to Young chrome carriers and they clean up like new pretty easily.  Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Brasso and some elbow grease works wonders, OP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several K through NiB bolts and that does look like it stained early.

My FZ is almost completely black/charcoal FWIW after heavy use.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had bad luck dealing with Stag. Nickel Boron is going to darken with use. It doesn't loose its lubricity though.
If you want easy cleanup here is MY experience.

Obsidian BCG by TR enabling cleans up super easy and is slick.

Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black.  Easy clean up

If you want BLING and easy clean up

Young National Match BCG.  Its chrome.

Salient Arms International  BCG  Easy clean up and its Gold.

These all clean up better than Nickel Boron.
View Quote
This is very true.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
That does look a bit prematurely stained. I have a Fail Zero NiB BCG in one of my carbines and it wipes clean pretty easily still. I have probably 400 rounds on it since I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Judging from my BCG the forums wisdom that color change is not unusual, but does not affect function is correct.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's a firearm not a piece of art.  There is no magic coating that is going to come back to factory new condition if you actually use your firearm.
View Quote
My 50+ year old Colt hard chromed carrier group still looks pretty new after cleaning & it's probably been cleaned 1000+ times.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Try cleaning it with mothers mag polish. fk in amazing
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't look dirty at all, just a darker color. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Did you lube before shooting?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
It just isnt pretty but seems to be OK

Try some Mothers mag wheel cleaner on it and see if that helps if you want it to shine. 

I've used that on my Nickel BCG and it works great 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I got an Anderson bcg with nib coating and its the same.  After the first range trip with 150rds it was stained.  I soaked it in carb cleaner and brushed it with no luck.  It's clean just not new clean.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I was told those are microscopic holes that carbon gets into.  Happens on all of the Nickel Boron ones I've used.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 'premium' PSA Nickel Boron BCG and it cleans up quite nicely with very little effort, which I care little about.

What I care about more is that the coating has come off in flakes inside the bolt cam channel like little scabs. Lame.

Next time I'll just go with a milspec unit of reputable make, or perhaps chrome if I'm looking for bling.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless you never shoot yer gun, its always gonna be dirty. Just varying degrees of......

What I don't get is this mania to make it "clean". More guns get ruined because some idjit used too much elbow grease cleaning. (seen that)
It ain't gotta be spotless.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a 'premium' PSA Nickel Boron BCG and it cleans up quite nicely with very little effort, which I care little about.

What I care about more is that the coating has come off in flakes inside the bolt cam channel like little scabs. Lame.

Next time I'll just go with a milspec unit of reputable make, or perhaps chrome if I'm looking for bling.
View Quote
My advice would be never ever buy NiB unless it's done by WMD or UCT.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My advice would be never ever buy NiB unless it's done by WMD or UCT.
View Quote
Quoted for truth.   UTC is the parent company of FZ.  WMD and FZ are the only two companies with the deep experience, technical skill and quality control to do NiB BCGs right, IMHO.   Eventually even they will stain. My WMD is a golden bronze color but still bright after several thousand rounds, now.  But, I do wipe it down after each range session.  I run virtually no lube, only a few drops of full synthetic oil.  Any more just attracts and holds carbon, dirt and grit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This bolt has 4-5k on it. If you shoot it.. it's gonna stain. Still works as it should.  I buy the no lube claims. I ran mine 1k dry as a bone this past July and it did great.

Toolcrafts EXO had the best finish IMO.
Attachment Attached File

Gave that one away as a gift but am gonna buy another. This one pictured had about 1k of .300blk and looked brand new.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:48:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<snip>
Toolcrafts EXO had the best finish IMO.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/20171122_190718-370624.JPG

Gave that one away as a gift but am gonna buy another. This one pictured had about 1k of .300blk and looked brand new.
View Quote
Damn, that Toolcrafts EXO looks awesome.  Makes me want to go out and buy one.  Thanks for the eye candy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Damn, that Toolcrafts EXO looks awesome.  Makes me want to go out and buy one.  Thanks for the eye candy.
View Quote
Yeah its nice,  right?

I'm doing a new build right now I think I'll pick another up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've started buying BCG's with DLC.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top