Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:54:01 AM EST
The only cleaning kit I have has a 3 piece brass rod.

Pretty much a universal kit that I have used on my shotguns and pistols and on a .22 rifle.

Is there a reason to buy a special kit for my new AR?

I see talk of dewey rods and stuff. What is up with that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:18:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Codyboy:
The only cleaning kit I have has a 3 piece brass rod.

Pretty much a universal kit that I have used on my shotguns and pistols and on a .22 rifle.

Is there a reason to buy a special kit for my new AR?

I see talk of dewey rods and stuff. What is up with that.

Thanks

That's all I've used for years. I used to have a coated Dewey .30 rod, but I included it with my Savage when it was sold. I see no need for a one-piece/specialty rod, unless you have a precision rifle. For a run of the mill chrome lined barrel it's unnecessary IMHO. Plus, a one-piece rod isn't as easy to store as the 3-piece ones.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:24:54 AM EST
The joints on a three piece rod might mess up the crown if you have to clean from the barrel end, like on a Rem 597 and others where it's a bit of work to remove the bolt. I have both and use the long rod.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:31:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By DisplayName:
The joints on a three piece rod might mess up the crown if you have to clean from the barrel end, like on a Rem 597 and others where it's a bit of work to remove the bolt. I have both and use the long rod.

True, but with an AR there's no need to clean from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:20:25 AM EST
ok thanks. no need to spend more money on needless stuff.

again thanks

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:36:13 AM EST
I like the Dewey rods and that's what I use. The only thing I don't like about brass or aluminum rods is that they are soft and hard things can get imbedded in them and scratch the bore or chamber, so I use Dewey or steel rods.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:40:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By DisplayName:

I use a boresnake on my 597's and AR's.
Top Top