Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:32:09 AM EDT by ArmyInfantryVet]
I've been told you don't have to buy that solvant spray to costs like 10 or so dollars a bottle when you can use break cleaning which is much cheaper and just as effective. Is this true? And it won't hurt any of the metal or plastic parts?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:31:54 AM EDT
Use Non-Chlorinated Brake cleaner, just make sure you oil it up when you are done
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:33:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Use Non-Chlorinated Brake cleaner, just make sure you oil it up when you are done

Also... do it outside and if possible, don't get it on your hands.

I only buy brake cleaner that states: "not for sale or use in California."

There's got to be something they're putting in it to make it that much better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

+1 Best "secret" of there, since its WAY cheaper than GunScrubber. I've used it for years on all my guns. (Not the barrels)
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
I read about this in another post and picked up a can yesterday.

Why not on/in the barrels??
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:04:16 PM EDT
Nothing cleans carbon off a carrier like good old brake cleaner with the straw. I wear goggles because it splatters.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:32:18 PM EDT
def wear vinyl nitrile gloves and eye protection when using brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
I'm also wondering why not to use it in the barrel. I just bought some yesterday at Autozone and I'm looking forward to using it. Also do you use it to break up the carbon or go about doing your regular cleaning then use the break cleaner to flush everything out? What is the process of using brake cleaner?
Top Top