Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:40 AM EDT
There has got to be---somewhere---a tool that has brush bristles facing forward (not outward) to insert into a bolt carrier and turn to clean the back of the area where the bolt seats. The same area where the tail of the bolt itself gets dirty and where the gas blows in from the carrier key.

I know some of you guys have rigged something together, right?  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen anything yet. Instead I use qtips, lots and lots of qtips.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Some dude posted a pic of a certain DREMEL BRUSH that could be used exactly as you say.  I'm sure if you go to ACE hardware and look thru the dremel section you'd find it.

It would be worth buying a dremel just for that reason.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know some of you guys have rigged something together, right?  

Well this is a couple of the tools I use. These scrapers are made from broken sections of aluminum cleaning rod. I first beat the ends flat with a hammer, then shape them to the bolt carrier inner contour with a file.

I first soak the disassembled bolt and carrier components in a mixture of Hoppes #9 and turpentine. While these components soak and the carbon softens I start on the rest of the rifle.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=275844

Back to the bolt and carrier, I use the DIY scrapers to remove as much carbon as possible. Then it’s q-tips or a small round bristle brush with a patch draped over the end.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster (among others I'm sure) sell these things....

Shop version:

Field version:

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Some dude posted a pic of a certain DREMEL BRUSH that could be used exactly as you say.  I'm sure if you go to ACE hardware and look thru the dremel section you'd find it.

It would be worth buying a dremel just for that reason.

That was more along the lines of what I was thinking. It would have to have a long stem portion, though, to reach all the way into the carrier.

Hmmmm. The wheels are turning.......
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a tool that does that but has a cutting head like affair that takes off the carbon. IIRC they're available from Brownell.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I got some cheapo Dental Tools from the local Fun Show.

Never saw the tool from BM..anyone know if it works well?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Dental picks, and a small flat blade screwdriver.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bushmaster (among others I'm sure) sell these things....

Shop version:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/Images/mbc-02.jpg

that's what I'm using
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top