Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:17:25 AM EDT
I have a 20" "Ban Compliant" HBAR with a 11 degree target crown. I clean from the breech. I don't have a breech bore guide. My question is should I use a muzzle guide on the front of the barrel even while cleaning from the breech? My concern is doing damage pulling the rod back through. If so any idea where to find a Post-Ban muzzle guide? Every thing I see is for rifles with flash supressors.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:09:36 AM EDT
Get a bore guide and use it. You do not need a muzzle guide with the bore guide and cleaning from the chamber end. The bore guide will keep the rod centered all the way down, out and back in. A mulititude of places sell bore guides specifically for the AR.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:04:04 AM EDT
I believe Dewey makes a muzzle guide. It's plastic with a brass insert. In some circles people don't like to "drag" the rod accross the crown when pulling the cleaning rod back through.

Maybe check Brownell's or Sinclair International.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:15:35 PM EDT
IMHO, rod guides are a waste of money. An aluminum or brass (preferred) will do NO damage to a hard steel barrel. There is a reason why they make brass punches...to be able to impact steel with a hammer and do NO damage.
Top Top