Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 7:01:26 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday to finish breaking in my new AR by putting a few hundred rounds through it.  
Last time I went the bolt got stuck with a round in the chamber twice.  The first time i just ignored it, but it took some strength to get it back.  The second time I had no such luck. After wrestling with the charge handle for about 5 min (and having someone else try), I finally got it to release.  I then field striped it and found that the bolt was bone dry, more so around the gas rings.  I lubed it up till it was wet, and practically dripping with clp and it ran fine for the rest of the mag.   At home I cleaned it real well and lubed it up as instructed.

With that being said... This time I decided to check the bolt ever once and a while to make sure it had plenty of lube on it.  I found that after a hundred rounds or so (more or less) that the bolt was bone dry at the rings again.  Within around 350 rounds I lubed it up 2 times.

Is this normal, and should I lube it up after so many rounds?  I just don't want the gun to get hurt any more that it did the first time around.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What tpy eof ammo, rifle, lube, etc.

Gas rings work fine dry You may have another problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The ammo I was using when it happened was some factory reloaded nato rounds (shot no more than 150 total that day).  As far as the lube... When I got the gun I striped it and cleaned it with the same kit I use for my 22, Hoppe's benchrest cleaning kit, (Bench Rest 9 Solvent, Bench Rest Lubricating Oil).  The oil is very thin, which was probably the cause if my initial problem.  The gun is a dpms Panther AP4 carbine.  Before I went to the range the first time I purchased the Break Free CLP just to have.  After I lubed it up it ran fine.  In fact, this time that I went (gun properly cleaned and lubed with clp)  I did not have any problems.  I was just mainly wondering if I need to keep it lubed after so many rounds, or if my problem stemmed from improper lubrication the first go around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The ammo I was using when it happened was some factory reloaded nato rounds (shot no more than 150 total that day).

WTF are factory reloaded nato rounds????

Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WTF are factory reloaded nato rounds????

FWIW, I bought 200 rounds the stuff at Whittaker Guns in KY (great place to go) and they told me that it was factory reloads.  When I got it home I looked at the head stamp and it had the nato cross on it, thus why I called it factory reloaded nato.

I recently bought some new brass and such and handloaded them. I shot my handloads (along with the rest of the nato stuff) and did not have any problems in about 350 round I put through it.  It actually ran perfectly Not saying that it wasn't the ammo, but I know from looking back on the situation that I did not lubricate the gun properly the first time around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You did the right thing using CLP. There may be better stuff out there (take a look at Miltec-1 for example), but CLP works. It works for me, and maybe more importantly, it works for the US military.

Since the gun is new, expect a few glitches until it beds in. Somewhere between 500 and 1,000 rounds and it will be running fine.

The bolt will end up looking dry (especially around the locking lugs). Thats fairly normal. inside the carrier it should still have traces of its lubrication.

The AR is designed to run fairly dry, it doesn't want to be dripping in lubricant. That will attract grit and invite jams.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Only reloads besides my own I would run in any thing i own would be black hills.

unkown quailty ammo new gun. I say your "problem" will go away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would agree with you.  At the time I was looking for some cheap ammo that I would beable to reload.  It seemed like a deal at the time hat
The answer I was looking for is that the bolt should be fine if its dry.

Thanks for the help!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top