Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:47:17 PM EDT
Hi, does anyone clean their rifles with the GI Rifle Bore Cleaner, the type that was issued during the 1970's? I have a few cans of this, just wondering how good of a bore cleaner it is?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a few bottles of some stuff at a gun show a couple years ago.  The OD green bottles cost a dollar each and on the sides of each says:

"RIFLE BORE CLEANER
MIL-CB-372B & AM2
6850-224-6656
SEABOARD MFG LABS INC
169       LOT RB7
DSA-640-69-D-0282
GEORGE SENN INC   M
2 US FL OZ"

Not sure what most of that means and I have no idea how old the stuff is or where it came from but it's obviously USGI.  To answer your question though, the stuff seems to do fair job at cleaning. It gets the job done reasonably.  It's probably not the best stuff there is so I just use it as a general all-purpose cleaner.  I usually use more specialized commercial products for heavy duty work.  

But I'm not a bore cleaner expert and haven't run comparison tests with other bore cleaners so take it FWIW.  To me, it was worth the $1 each.    

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Your bore cleaner is from 1969!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Your bore cleaner is from 1969!!

Sure is!  The "169 LOT RB7"  means that it was made in January of 1969.  It's almost 1968 stuff.  The George Senn stuff from June of 1968 actually just said, "June 68" on it.  There were also two kinds of bottles:  A glossy hard plastic  type of bottle and a matte softer type bottle.  I bought a couple of cases of the stuff from an outfit called Sierra Supply about 10 years ago for about .10 cents a bottle if I remember correctly.  Good for corrosive ammo.  Also got used surplus 30round  M16 mags for about 2-$3 a piece too.  They worked great and I am still using them all today!!  Can't find Sierra on the net.  Finished the last Creamed beef T-Rat {Tray Ration} about 5 years ago.  Great deal on MREs too!  Don't see em in Shotgun News anymore.  Too bad, great outfit!!  Best prices on everything that I ever saw.  Must have gone out of business because they didn't make any money at the prices they were charging, that's for sure!  266
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone know if this stuff offers any type of corrosion protection?  I know it's not CLP but does it have similar qualities?   And this might sound stupid but can it be used as an oil?  This stuff seems pretty much like an oil to me.  Just curious.

ETA:  Thanks for all that info BTW!  That stuff is OLD.  It's still good though!  It is suppose to be brown in color, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
266-23

Found a Sierra Supply in Durango, CO. Not sure if this is the same one but here's the info.

Sierra Supply
659 E 4th Ave, Durango, CO
(970) 259-1822

Longhunter1757
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Longhunter!  Yep, same guy.  Prices have gone up a bit though.  No longer publishes a mailing list or web page.  $8-$9 bucks for mags which have been in rifles [green follower], but otherwise almost 'like new'.  MREs $55 a case.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top