BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 8:32:04 PM EDT
Anyone know if this one will work:

http://www.jewelsmall.com/diulclcdasij.html  only 40 bucks

They have a heated one too for 175: http://www.jewelsmall.com/heuljecl.html

I jsut want to use it to clean bolts, bolt carriers, pistol barrels, etc...

BTW, do I need to disassemble the bolt itself to clean it with an ultrasonic machine?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
dont have one of those, but for the $ they look pretty darn nice.  I may have to just drop a few $ and try one out....

thanks for the links.  maybe somebody will chime in here and let you know if they have one already and how well it works...

i'm wondering how a UT cleaner would work on a 22 suppressor ????
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#2]
made hot:

www.jewelsmall.com/diulclcdasij.html

kinda small (1 Pint tank)

wont fit too much in there, maybe a AR bolt and a few other small parts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a small ultrasonic that I use to clean small parts and occasionally jewlery.  I got it for $25 bucks at Harbor freight a while back.  I usually fill it with simple green and let it run for a while.  Makes cleaning small parts easier as long as you rinse and dry them thouroughly after (I use hot water and then dry them out with compressed air or a hair dryer).  The only problem is that it doesn't remove carbon as well as I would like.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The one you link to is a bit on the small side for your needs, both in physical terms, and in power. I don't think you will fir a bolt carrier in there.

Look for one of these
on e-bay. You can pick them up for less than $40. It has double the power of the one you are looking at, and will take a bolt carrier (diagonaly).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It may work fine but at 35 Watts, it is really hard to tell.  I have a 100W dual transducer model that I got from harbor freight.  Works like a champ.

Here is mine:
My US Cleaner

IMPORTANT:  If you do get a US cleaner, forget what you THINK you may know about cleaning solutions.  US cleaners get the work done by solution surface tension.  Even though the following article is about cleaning brass, it is still talks about home solutions and removing carbon from metal with a US cleaner.
ultrasonic solutions

It would be probably best to disassemble your BCG before putting it in the US.  Just be sure to rinse and completely dry (compressed air is best) and the lubricate it right after you clean it.  US cleaners will remove everything -- including any residual oil.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone one know of a good solution to clean gun parts with in an US cleaner?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to anwser your second question I thin you would have to Disassemble the bolt that way it would get cleaner?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if coatings on other metals could be damaged in a US cleaner?  IE bolts, carriers, pistol barrels, frames and sub assemblies.  There has to be someone that has some extensive use with ine of these.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have ultrasonically cleaned bolts and carrier assemblies with no adverse effects and the carrier was coated with Norrells moly resin.  I am still looking for a good solution.  

So far I have used mineral spirits and GUNK carburator and parks cleaner.
I was not real impressed with either one.

The mineral spirits stink but the GUNK is liquid death.

Neither one harmed the parkerizing or the moly resin but they also did not clean that well either.
There was still really hard caked on carbon on the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Right before I left Fort Eustis VA my unit got a ultra sonic tank in the arms room. the directions said to us CLP. This thing was big enough to take broken down rifle. by this I mean upper from lower. I did get to try it. It cleaned my weapon up real nice. Rifle came out hot. from the friction. I regretted it though. I had to draw my weapon everyday for a month to wipe down he clp that kept comming out of it. never did see another of those tanks again. I think he army out lawed them for some reason or another...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top