Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 7:59:40 AM EDT
has anyone use any kitchen grill cleaners such as carb-off on their AR. Its an indutrial cleaner the resuraunts use to break up carbon deposits on thier pans and grill. Wondering if it is safe and if it would work.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]
never herd of the stuff
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard of people trying to use it to clean out brass for reloading.  Didn't work very good at all.

What part of your AR are you having trouble with carbon?  Any specific area?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard of people trying to use it to clean out brass for reloading.  Didn't work very good at all.

What part of your AR are you having trouble with carbon?  Any specific area?

mostly the bolt and under and around the gas tube in the upper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Soak the steel parts (bolt & carrier) in Simple Green for a day or few.  You will have a much easier time cleaning these parts after this.  A stiff nylon brush will get most of the gunk off.  Make sure to rinse well to get the SG off before reassembly into the upper, and re-lube quickly after removing from the SG as it will strip off all existing protection.

Use MC-25, Mpro7, or Hoppe's Elite around the aluminum parts.  These are all very good (but more expensive) cleaners and are safe around aluminum.  Just as with the SG, rinse well (these are water based products), and re-lube quickly.  

P.S.  You can use brake cleaner to help get water off/out of the gun prior to lubing.  Compressed air is better if you have access to a compressor.

This is the procedure I use, and it works for me.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#6]
i just keep hearing how bad simple green supposidely is for your ar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i just keep hearing how bad simple green supposidely is for your ar.

Simple Green + anodized aluminum = Bad    Proof
Keep in mind that it took 3 days of constant soaking to get to that point.
Just keep it away from the alum. parts and you are good.

Simple Green + steel = Clean parts
I have left steel parts in SG for weeks with no problems.

Just be dilligent in rinsing (tap water and a sink are great) / drying , and make sure to lightly lube all metal surfaces.  All of the quality lubes (CLP, FP10, Corrosion X, Mil comm) have at least some water displacement ability and will lift any remaining water/SG off the steel.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top