Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 9:17:51 PM EDT
what is the best way to clean off the hardened carbon deposits inside the bolt carrier. it appears to be chrome lined on the inside
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It is chrome lined. For the most part what CLP does not remove I would not worry about.

Only easy way I know of would be to soak the parts in something like bm12 chem tool, or slip 2000 carbon cutter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of quick turns with a M1 Garand chamber brush will make it look like new.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't stand leaving it in there.  I use the dental tools and Q-tips with Hoppes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The easy way is to use a Mark Brown tool <http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1851&title=AR-15%2fM16+TOOLS>.  The gas Tube Wrench is also very useful.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I will give you 2 very simple ways to remove the carbon inside your BC.

1st, the cheapest -- Get a brass dremel cup brush and slightly close the bristles.  Now, chuck the brush in a variable speed drill so that the shank is only about 1/8 inch into the chuck.  Run the cup brush into the BC and give the drill a couple of slow spins.  Walla -- clean as new.

2nd, the best -- Get a ultrasonic cleaner and give it 1~10 minutes in a solution of 40% white vinegar and 60% distilled water.  The ultrasonic cleaner will have your BC CLEANER than when you first purchased your rifle.  No joke.  Just BE SURE to oil it right after you dry it because the ultrasonic cleaner removes everything.  Even inside your gas key will be cleaner than new.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate that part!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
First

Bushmaster Bolt Carrier Scraper (field version)

Then

Glock OEM brush

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
First thing I do after the range is disassemble my bolt and carrier and drop it in a 50/50 solution of Hoppes #9 and turpentine.  I clean the rest of the rifle while those parts soak. This softens the carbon to the point that a combination of q-tips, patches and a old bore brush can get 95% of the deposits out.  I also made my own carbon scraper tool out of an old aluminum cleaning rod section. Since the carbon build up in this area is self-limiting (to an extent) I don’t fret it too much.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top