Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT
Most efficient way?  I just soaked a patch in solvent and ran it through the barrel.  Then ran the brush afterwards twice.  After that it was just patch after patch.  I must have went through 15 of them and it was still coming out a little dirty.  Should the patch be COMPLETELY white with no residue whatsoever?

What steps do you guys take?

Also, what do you think of these for cleaning inside the bolt where the firing pin goes, and maybe inside the gas key?

Couldn't find pipe cleaners so I got these.  They're not as mop-like but more of a softer fuzzy material.  Had a pretty nice fit inside the channel, but just wondering if there's anything bad about it.

dubisteinspundloch.com/DSCF4870.JPG
dubisteinspundloch.com/DSCF4871.JPG

If not, where's a good place to buy pipe cleaners in bulk?

And another, do I need copper solvent or will my Hoppes #9 powder work fine?

Using an Otis snake kit by the way.  What do you guys think of the patches?  Should I buy more of them?  Again, best place to purchase?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
10 views and not one person can contribute ANYTHING?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask 100 people how to clean their bores, and get 100+ different ways to do it.

Metroplex's method:
1). Spray down the bore with cleaner to flush out heavy particles.
2). Run Otis + patch loop + 45 cal square patch soaked with CLP (although now I may just use MPro-7 first) through
3). Run Otis + bore brush 2-3 times
4). Repeat with soaked patch
5). Dry patch
6). Soaked patch
7). Brush several times
etc...
I don't follow a strict routine, since I sometimes take out the guns to clean them just for the heck of it.
I use pipe cleaners for small passages. Get them at the smoking aisle in Walmart (where you checkout).
Use copper remover once like every 3000+ rd or so.

I got a free pack of Otis patches and while the cotton was very nice, I didn't really see much of a difference in cleaning efficiency versus the cheap synthetic stuff I got at Walmart.

For 22 cal I use the 45 cal patches slipped through the patch loop.
For 30 cal and larger, I use the 12 gauge patches slipped through the patch loop.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me say this, since there are many correct answers to this question: the foaming cleaner is messy crap...yes I tried it, looked good at the time. Too messy for me.
I use a bore snake for everything, along with patches to finish up for the bore and light wire brush and chamber brush for the chamber/bolt assembly.
I do make sure the bore patches are clean before finishing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
This is how I do it.

I run a brush soaked with hoppes through 3-5 times.
Let it set for a little.
Run a couple of dry. patches through it.
Repeat as necessary.
Then a run a patch with Hoppes oil and then a dry patch.

I don't keep running patches through until they are white.  I usually stop when it is mostly white.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ask 100 people how to clean their bores, and get 100+ different ways to do it.

Metroplex's method:
1). Spray down the bore with cleaner to flush out heavy particles.
2). Run Otis + patch loop + 45 cal square patch soaked with CLP (although now I may just use MPro-7 first) through
3). Run Otis + bore brush 2-3 times
4). Repeat with soaked patch
5). Dry patch
6). Soaked patch
7). Brush several times
etc...
I don't follow a strict routine, since I sometimes take out the guns to clean them just for the heck of it.
I use pipe cleaners for small passages. Get them at the smoking aisle in Walmart (where you checkout).
Use copper remover once like every 3000+ rd or so.

I got a free pack of Otis patches and while the cotton was very nice, I didn't really see much of a difference in cleaning efficiency versus the cheap synthetic stuff I got at Walmart.

For 22 cal I use the 45 cal patches slipped through the patch loop.
For 30 cal and larger, I use the 12 gauge patches slipped through the patch loop.

I thought my .22 patches and the loop seemed a little small.  I had to use 2 at a time.  I'll have to get some .45 cal patches.

So I should be using CLP on the bore?  What do you mean by spray down the bore?  What cleaner do you use?  Spray from breech and let it drip out through the flash hider?

Forgot to specify, chrome-lined barrel if it matters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I would just spray some cleaner from the chamber end of the bore and let it run through the muzzle end and drip into a wastebasket or receptacle. I started trying out M-Pro 7, which is a nice non-toxic cleaner. CLP works fine, and I've just briefly hosed it with WD-40 in the past (this is just to wash out as much solid residue as possible). This is the first thing I do before scrubbing or pulling patches through the bore.

I use 12 gauge patches with my 9mm bore and it's a decent fit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes, I would just spray some cleaner from the chamber end of the bore and let it run through the muzzle end and drip into a wastebasket or receptacle. I started trying out M-Pro 7, which is a nice non-toxic cleaner. CLP works fine, and I've just briefly hosed it with WD-40 in the past (this is just to wash out as much solid residue as possible). This is the first thing I do before scrubbing or pulling patches through the bore.

I use 12 gauge patches with my 9mm bore and it's a tight/decent fit.

I'll have to pick up some of that foaming bore cleanser stuff at Wal-Mart next time I go, and look for those pipe cleaners.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use 12 gauge patches with my 9mm bore and it's a tight/decent fit.

I'll have to pick up some of that foaming bore cleanser stuff at Wal-Mart next time I go, and look for those pipe cleaners.

Just stick with CLP.
For the pipe cleaners, ask where their smoking products are. Usually they're at the checkout area near the cigarettes and pipes along with zippo parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Patch loops just sort of swab the bore down.
A corect jag and correct patches form a pretty tight fit and get a lot more crud out faster.
Coppered up barrels can take even more work to get  clean.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never found patches alone to be able to remove much carbon deposits even when tightly fitted. I just use patches to swab the bore after brushing with a bronze brush.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Patch loops just sort of swab the bore down.
A corect jag and correct patches form a pretty tight fit and get a lot more crud out faster.
Coppered up barrels can take even more work to get  clean.

What's a jag?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
jag

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
jag

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=356987

Ah ok I thought that's what it was.  I have a plastic one I use on the rod for my Ruger.  Works great.

It's ok to use that from muzzle to breech right?

ETA: Nevermind, my rod is long enough where I can push it through the entire upper and out the muzzle.  Know of any place that sells just the jag?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
midwayusa

or just about any online gun store simular to midway.

I know my local GS  has the "common" sizes in stock.

I like the brass ones. One sturbon patches I have been known to break the plastics.

Always clean from the breach top the muzzel, when possible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I've tried both jags and loops. Simply rubbing a patch against the bore is not going to remove the hard stuff. Patches were mainly meant to be swabs or to remove loose deposits. That is why brushes were made and are used for scrubbing the bores, just my honest opinion.

I use the loops because they are easier and cleaner to use. I simply slip a patch in there, then apply lube as per otis's instructions. With a jag, I have to either roll it around the jag or stick the pointy thing through the center of the patch and push it.

With the otis, you just pull from breech to muzzle, which is much easier to do than pushing something through the bore.

For the AR-15 chamber, just use a Chamber brush + 1-2 rod extensions and a cordless drill.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
never said thats all you need.  But you can do with just patches. You need good bore solvent (not clp) and time. as you have to let the product soak and do its thing. Brushes just speed up the prcoess to a few mins instead of a few days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've tried both jags and loops. Simply rubbing a patch against the bore is not going to remove the hard stuff. Patches were mainly meant to be swabs or to remove loose deposits. That is why brushes were made and are used for scrubbing the bores, just my honest opinion.

I use the loops because they are easier and cleaner to use. I simply slip a patch in there, then apply lube as per otis's instructions. With a jag, I have to either roll it around the jag or stick the pointy thing through the center of the patch and push it.

With the otis, you just pull from breech to muzzle, which is much easier to do than pushing something through the bore.

For the AR-15 chamber, just use a Chamber brush + 1-2 rod extensions and a cordless drill.

Yeah I know.  I always use the brush of course.  Pulling through is definitely easy, but pushing a jag through seems to distribute the patch more evenly through the bore so it gets everything.

As for the chamber, I just use the metal rod included with my Otis kit, and the T handle they give you to twist it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
10 views and not one person can contribute ANYTHING?

That's because this has been more than covered 87 times over.  And everyone does it differently.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]
CLP/Brake Cleaner

GI clean kit/Otis/Dewy  all good!

If ya got chrome bore I would think Military/GI kit would be just fine!

I like my OTIS because it can fit in a grip
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top