Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:24 PM EDT
Hey fellas, just got my Armalite M15-A4.  Was reading through the manual and came across a sheet describing the "break-in" procedure.  

As I'm sure you're all aware, it's very time and labor intensive...though I have no problem going thru it if it actually has it's claimed benefits.

Anyone do this recently or is there anything anyone can advise of me of to make this go smoothly?

Also, anyone heard of Miltec dry lube?  The local shop guy was telling me it's the cat's ass, anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The break in procedure that Armalite recommends,IMHO,is for the stainless barrels and the NM.
The chrome lined barrels I have yet to see it make a difference.My first Armalite A2 I did the break in and it was a pain.Since then I just field strip as soon as it comes out of the box.Clean and lube then shoot to dial in the sights.Then plink until my hearts content.Just remember to keep that new Armalite lubed well for the first 200 rounds or so.Some are pretty tight until they break in.
As far as a lube...forget the cats whatever and use something like Break Free CLP,Firepower FP-10 CLP,Mil-comm TW-25B.There are a few other good oils out there but thats the one's I would choose from and trust.
HTH
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
cool exactly what I was hoping to hear!  Just finished reading the article here:
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn_II.asp

Anyone want to chime in on Sentry products?  I'm trying searches up top but nothing, literally nothing, is coming up for anything I"m trying.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
cool exactly what I was hoping to hear!  Just finished reading the article here:
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn_II.asp

Anyone want to chime in on Sentry products?  I'm trying searches up top but nothing, literally nothing, is coming up for anything I"m trying.

Thanks again.

I've been using their dry lube on tools in the desert environment for about two years now. Works great, but I don't know that it would be any better than CLP under most circumstances- in fact if I were in a humid or saltwater environment I would choose a "wet" lube.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Miltec is a fine lube, I use it in Iraq, but it has no real rust-preventative properties so make sure to use something in addition to prevent corrosion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a bit of both dry and wet works the best...thanks guys keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
break in on a prodution barrel???

all your doing is taking away your time that can be better spent shooting.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top