Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
How important is carbon build-up removal from the shoulder area "aft" of the gas rings (indicated by the red arrow) on an AR-15 bolt?

What is the safest and most expedient way to remove carbon deposits from this area of the bolt?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:05:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AustinPSD:
What is the safest and most expedient way to remove carbon deposits from this area of the bolt?

I usually just use an old bore brush to scrub it off. If it is worse, I scrape it off gently with a knife blade.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:38:54 PM EDT
Couple drops of Kroil + Green scratchy pad = Good as new.

Weazer
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:47:35 AM EDT
Honestly I realize folks want there rifle clean. But you really dont have to over do it. Just take some good powder solvent ( I use hoppes # 9 ) and wet the intire bolt ( stripped ) . Go about your other cleaning. Come back to it with a stiff bristle toothbrush ( USGI cleaning toothbrush ) and scrub it with it. What DON"T come off after that I wouldn't worry about. It will be just fine and will NOT cause you any problems at all. I used to over clean myself. I still care for my rifles after shooting them but don't go over board. Cheers wardawg
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:14:20 PM EDT
soak in slip-2000. period. if thirty minutes won't work try sixty minutes, and so on. slip 2000 is incredible. there is no option b
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
have your eyes closed when looking there.

I use a brass brush and fp-10 off in under 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:08:00 PM EDT
I know that a perfect clean would be best, but I just clean it "very good". I use Hoppes #9 with a toothbrush until I am satisfied it is pretty good, and I move on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:34:17 PM EDT
I drop it in my US cleaner with a little solvent

6 minutes later and it is cleaner than new.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:56 PM EDT
+1 on the Ultrasonic cleaner. If you ever want to get your BCG cleaner than when it was purchased from the store then try an ultrasonic cleaner. Absolutely amazing.

If you are a reloader, it works wonders for cleaning brass too.

just DON'T EVER put anything aluminum in there.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:57:27 AM EDT
Soak in something for half an hour? Just scrape it off. If you're so worried about scrathcing it by using a knife or screwdriver, or whatever, get one of those brass tools. The ones that have a bruh on one side, and the other looks sort of like a flat tip screwdriver. 30 seconds and you're done, if even that long.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:36 AM EDT
Try this, best for the money. Follow up with CLP

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/edsred.htm

Originally Posted By AustinPSD:
How important is carbon build-up removal from the shoulder area "aft" of the gas rings (indicated by the red arrow) on an AR-15 bolt?

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/AustinPSD/ar-15-bolt.jpg

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
Someone recommended soaking in Automatic Transmission Fluid, I tried it and the cabon came right off with a green abrasive pad.
Top Top