Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:52:35 AM EDT
I figured I better check this here.....

I just field stripped it for the first time to clean it. I went to put the bolt back together and I had to think....which way does the extractor face before I put the bolt cam pin back in?

The extractor (once its put back togther) does face out towards the ejection port right?? I figured it had to. Stupid noob question but cant ever be too careful! I see the bolt assembly rotates in the carrier. I didnt even know if it was possible to assmble it "backwards". Just checking myself. Sorry if this is a stupid question but never had the benefit of being shown first hand.

I reassbled everything and it seems to be functioning fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:17:03 AM EDT
On mine, there is a little bit of a lip on the cam pin hole that prevents installation backwards. I assume it is the same for most all ar15 bolts.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:19:02 AM EDT
Ok...well the cam pin went in fine so guess I did it right. The ejector does face out then.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:07 AM EDT
Bolt should only be able to be installed one way, with the extractor facing the ejection side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:54:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
Bolt should only be able to be installed one way, with the extractor facing the ejection side.

I have seen some AR bolts that could be inserted backwards. Normally, where the cam pin inserts the bolt, one side is peened in a bit to prevent the cam pin from being inserted and thus put in backwards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:36:42 AM EDT
well just wanted to make sure I did it right. Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
thats why i said should instead of shall.
Top Top