Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:22:50 AM EDT
I've noticed that my firing pin retaining pin is getting bent at the end and is getting more and more difficult to back in after cleaning.I've tried straightening it but it isn't helping much.

I was wondering where do you guys buy replacement pins? Or can I just take the pin to a Home Depot or local hardware store and replace it with a same size cotter pin?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I looked at retaining pins on the Midway USA site and found replacement pins. I also saw a DPMS firing pin retaining pin EM-16 that looked different from the tradtional retaining pin.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=890682

I was just wondering what makes this pin special?

Thanks again for the links.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Do your self a favor and take a look at the replacement parts kits offered by Bushmaster. Eventually small parts need to be replaced and a parts box with spares is nice to own.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar problem with my BM. Called the factory and they sent me a bag of 4 free of charge. Good service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do your self a favor and take a look at the replacement parts kits offered by Bushmaster. Eventually small parts need to be replaced and a parts box with spares is nice to own.

+1 I got my spare kit for like 15 bucks shipped and came with all small parts one is prone to losing while taking the rifle apart.  Always good to have these tiny parts available.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I looked at retaining pins on the Midway USA site and found replacement pins. I also saw a DPMS firing pin retaining pin EM-16 that looked different from the tradtional retaining pin.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=890682

I was just wondering what makes this pin special?

Thanks again for the links.

Those are the old style pins that are easier to push into place.  No idea if they are better or worse.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a replacement from DPMS after mine broke.  The pin cost 75 cents plus the 37 cents for postage.  It's worth it to replace it with the real deal rather than a "do-it-yourself" job
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks again for all the great input. There's gun show this weekend, so I'll go see what I can buy there for replacement parts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I recommend taping one inside of the grip. That way, you will have a spare with you. Use duct tape.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top