Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:35:56 PM EDT
So, I live in Louisiana, and it can get quite humid even indoors, especially in the winter when its still quite wet but too cold to run the A/C.  Anything steel rusts rather quickly, and so I go pretty liberal with the CLP when I clean my AR-15.

A few hours ago, I was handling this AR-15.  The gun isn't drenched in the stuff, but theres apparently enough lingering around that when I touched a CD (by the edge, of course), it damaged it.  You know how when you touch a CD sometimes the water vapor from your skin will leave foggy marks near where your fingers were?  Well, thats how it was, except the one mark wouldn't go away.

And of course it was a data CD, and part of one of the files could no longer be read by my drive.  

After extensive cleaning with a three-stage CD cleaner kit from Phillips, I was able to get the computer to read the CD again (but very slowly).

Moral: If you put more than a very light amount (desert style) of CLP on your rifle, do not touch any sort of plastic at the same time you are handling your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa!! I'm glad you said something. I KNOW I've handled a few DVD's with a little CLP on my hands.  I wish I had ANY idea which they were and I would check.

Which CLP in specific did you use?

I use FP-10.... and I'm hoping that's it's more of and LP than a CLP hopefully it won't do anything.  However, next coaster I make on my burner, i'm gonna do a little test on.  

Good warning!  I always like to clean guns and watch DVD's... I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Breakfree CLP.  The damage occured to normal factory-stamped CDs.  I'm not sure if different sorts of CDs or DVDs use different plastics that might make a difference.

After I posted, I later found another disk (in the same set) with more extensive damage, apparently due to the CLP travelling on the surface of the disk as it spun in the drive.

Resurfacing/buffing seems pretty effective at making the disks playable again, but I have been unable to get these disks back to 100%.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top