Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 11:50:46 AM EDT
If I have a BoreSnake, is it okay to use only that to clean my bore or should I still use patches and the brush from the USGI kit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
use the boresnake until you can afford a  one piece rod (Dewy). USGI kits are nice but no need to use them when you have a bore snake.

Use the one piece rod when your removing heay copper and the boresnake for routine maintance.

I only use a boresnake to remove excessive oil before firiing, but 1,000 of others on AR15 use it for regular cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I only use a boresnake to remove excessive oil before firiing

That's what I've ended up doing as well.

I've been using them to make the last few passes before oiling too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I clean all my guns with boresnakes only. The greatest thing to come along in years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  

I'm going to start using the boresnake for routine maintenance before and after I shoot, should I use CLP on it and if I should, where should I put the CLP... on the bristles?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
bristles and soome of the cloth. leave the tail dry
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
How are you supposed to use that loop that's on the end of the boresnake, when you tighten it the rear half of the boresnake gets thicker, what's the purpose of this and how should I use it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Run a nice rod and brush followed by a tight jag and patch after you think it is clean using the Bore snake and you will be shocked at the crap still in your barrel. Boresnake comes no where near as close to clean as a good rod, brush, jag and patches!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I have a BoreSnake, is it okay to use only that to clean my bore or should I still use patches and the brush from the USGI kit?

Thanks

just the boresnake and CLP.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Run a nice rod and brush followed by a tight jag and patch after you think it is clean using the Bore snake and you will be shocked at the crap still in your barrel. Boresnake comes no where near as close to clean as a good rod, brush, jag and patches!!!!!

True, but I'm bettin ghtat he's not shooting match quality ammo either.

Based on the fact that he's asking this to begin with, I'm assuming that he's either doing more informal shooting to anyway, or is asking in reference to his "combat weapon", in which case I think the snake should do the trick just nicely.

If I'm wrong and he wants to do some long range or target stuff, then the quality rod would be the way to go.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thjat loop is used to be a "tite" fit in the bore that is how te boresnake dies your barrel.

weather you use your weapon for combat or match shooting ammo is ammo and the barrel should be cared for in the same matter. we both clean our weapons in the living room when we get home. Just because the weapon is cable of runing dirty there is no reason to leave it there, expect maybe laziness.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thjat loop is used to be a "tite" fit in the bore that is how te boresnake dies your barrel.

I am honestly not trying to be a smart-ass.  What are you trying to say?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am honestly not trying to be a smart-ass.  What are you trying to say?

After running through my Annie Oakley decoder ring:

Thjat loop is usupposed to be a "tighte" fit in the bore that is how the boresnake dries your barrel.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#14]
hen pecking faster than I think, and i think slow
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Got it!  Nice ring, BTW
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
While I have yet to clean an AR(will get that chance soon!).. I have used boresnakes on milsurps for some time.

I use carb cleaner on my SKS's(and my 1 AK) to loosen up the crap in the bore, and then run a brush through the bore a few times, followed by another spritz of cleaner. Then, it's rather simple to just pull the bore snake a few times. Oddly, cleaning the bore is the easiest part

I use it in place of patches, but IMHO the brush on it can not replace a good brush on a rod.

On my Mosin Nagants, I run an amonia soaked patch through the bore a few times to nuetralize the corrosive crap, run another patch with Ed's Red on it, scrub with brush, and then bore snake with CLP on it. I've run about 1200 rounds through my M44 in the past 6 months, while it's not the volume shooting I do with the 7.62x39(and soon perhaps the .223), I've only used 2 patches per cleaning session to kill the corrosive crap. Havn't noticed a change in accuracy at all, still able to nail clay pigeons at 100 yards easily.

Doing the carb cleaner thing on a K31 though, as the ammo is much cleaner and not corrosive. That gun is SCAREY accurate on paper, so we'll see if not using patches effects it any.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I would imagine a boresnake would be fine and dandy for any military barrel....  but wont hold a candle to a coated rod, brush, and patches for a match barrel.

I have decided I am going to boresnake only on all my chrome lined barrels from here on out.... then give them their once-a-year copper removal I always do.

My stainless and match barrels will still get the coated rod treatment.... which is typically a nylon brush with Butch's.... then a BUNCH of tight patches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

Boresnakes are good "Field Cleaning Tools" and that's it. Nothing, but nothing replaces a good rod, bore guide, tight bronze brush, and several patches to "Properly" clean your barrel.

Tack
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Ihave a coated rod,boresnake,and an Otis kit.I like the boresnake for light field cleaning,but for a thorough job,the Otis wins hands down! the brushes are excellent,and the patches are tight,and it is the easiest way to go.It seems to be almost as easy as the boresnake,but does the same job as the rod and brushes.the solvent that comes with the kit is great too.
I seem to only use the rod for my .30 cal anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I always use a bore snake when at the range and the barrel is still hot prior to packing it away. 4 passes, a wipe down with a lead cloth, wipe with cotton cloth, and then silicone cloth....good to go.
Also don't feel too guilty about not doing a full clean when I get back home!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

On my Mosin Nagants, I run an amonia soaked patch through the bore a few times to nuetralize the corrosive crap, run another patch with Ed's Red on it, scrub with brush, and then bore snake with CLP on it. I've run about 1200 rounds through my M44 in the past 6 months, while it's not the volume shooting I do with the 7.62x39(and soon perhaps the ...

FYI, this "ammonia to neutralize corrosive primers" thing is an Internet myth that just won't die.  I think it started when someone wrote about using Windex w/ammonia to clean the bore of a milsurp after shooting corrosive ammo.  Ammonia will not chemically neutralize the salt deposits left behind by corrosive ammo.  What you need to do is flush the salts out.  If you use enough ammonia or other liquid you'll accomplish this goal.  The best thing to flush out the salts, though, is water.  Windex, which is mostly water, works great for this and comes in a handy container.  You can also use windsheild wiper fluid or the old USGI Rifle Bore Cleaner which comes in the green cans.  Also, good old Hoppe's No.9 works just fine on corrosive primer residue, although it's largely kerosene.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top