Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 6:57:34 PM EDT by SIG_220]
Just curious what the opinion is on this. I have heard some people say you shouldn't and others that say the opposite. Like on a Varmint heavy barrel AR or a 700PSS etc. I have only used patch's for my rifles of this nature but I am curious if I am just being paranoid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 8:35:55 PM EDT by SecretKeeper]
I also would like to hear about this.

My mentor advised me not to use any type of brushes on SS match barrell and I was fine w/ it since I saved money by not buying brushes. I just run patches until they come out of barrel completely clean. It takes up to 10 patches.
I clean mine coming back from range practice w/ about 20 - 50 rounds shot. I also shot upto 170 rounds at a local DNR range, but the number of patches used were about the same always...up to 10 patches.

After patch cleaning, I still do see somethings (looks like small particles???) sticking right on the edges of lands & groves. I do not believe these seem to affect accuracy so far.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:24:45 PM EDT
bronze are ok to use. just do not use those stainless steel brushes. All a brush does is speed up the cleaning process. Same effect as using a brush to vclean a pot or pan, vs just a wet rag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:17:29 AM EDT
A bronze brush with a brass core will do no harm if used properly. Clean from the breech with a one-piece rod, and use a cleaning rod guide. I prefer BoreStix by Bore Tech; the best source is Lock, Stock and Barrel - http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTBSTX2236C. Some prefer a bare stainless rod, but I prefer a coted rod; the coating is much softer than the barrel, but is tough enough that it won't imbed grit. There are a variety of guides for the AR and all will do the job, but you want one with a solvent port - it's much easier to avoid drips with one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:01:12 PM EDT
I use brushes on most of my rifles. I was mainly curious about match barrels and such like if there were different techniques and reccomendations for cleaning them than I do my chrome lined AR's, AK's, other military or misc rifles.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:24:27 PM EDT
Speedy is a Benchrest Hall of Fame member, and master gunsmith:

www.benchrest.com/sgybreakin.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:20 PM EDT
Bronze is softer than Chrome Moly or SS. The brush will not hurt your barrel! Ask the Bench Rest fraternity who clean with bronze brushes after every 5 rounds and put 5 shots itno a .020" hole at 100 yards.

Tack
Top Top