Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
Just curious what the opinion is on this.  I have heard some people say you shouldn't and others that say the opposite.  Like on a Varmint heavy barrel AR or a 700PSS etc.  I have only used patch's for my rifles of this nature but I am curious if I am just being paranoid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I also would like to hear about this.

My mentor advised me not to use any type of brushes on SS match barrell and I was fine w/ it since I saved money by not buying brushes.  I just run patches until they come out of barrel completely clean.  It takes up to 10 patches.
I clean mine coming back from range practice w/ about 20 - 50 rounds shot.   I also shot upto 170 rounds at a local DNR range, but the number of patches used were about the same always...up to 10 patches.

After patch cleaning, I still do see somethings (looks like small particles???) sticking right on the edges of lands & groves.  I do not believe these seem to affect accuracy so far.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
bronze are ok to use. just do not use those stainless steel brushes. All a brush does is speed up the cleaning process.  Same effect as using a brush to vclean a pot or pan, vs just a wet rag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
A bronze brush with a brass core will do no harm if used properly.  Clean from the breech with a one-piece rod, and use a cleaning rod guide.  I prefer BoreStix by Bore Tech; the best source is Lock, Stock and Barrel - http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BTBSTX2236C.  Some prefer a bare stainless rod, but I prefer a coted rod; the coating is much softer than the barrel, but is tough enough that it won't imbed grit.  There are a variety of guides for the AR and all will do the job, but you want one with a solvent port - it's much easier to avoid drips with one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I use brushes on most of my rifles.  I was mainly curious about match barrels and such like if there were different techniques and reccomendations for cleaning them than I do my chrome lined AR's, AK's, other military or misc rifles.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Speedy is a Benchrest Hall of Fame member, and master gunsmith:  

www.benchrest.com/sgybreakin.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Bronze is softer than Chrome Moly or SS. The brush will not hurt your barrel! Ask the Bench Rest fraternity who clean with bronze brushes after every 5 rounds and put 5 shots itno a .020" hole at 100 yards.

Tack
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top