Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/10/2005 9:53:01 PM EDT
I've read with interest all the various opinions of what cleaning and lubricating products out there are deemed good and bad. Are the Tetra products decent? If you used only one product to clean and lube which would it be?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:47:10 PM EDT
I've used the Tetra products that came with my Bushmaster Armorers Kit. They work well, but I honestly haven't seen a difference between any cleaners. I've used CLP for years since I started using it in the military. CLP does the job, but you'll want to use a copper remover sometimes to get out built up copper fouling. It's mainly the fact that you're cleaning and maintaining your weapon that counts, not what you spray inside.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:46:39 PM EDT
Tetra is very slick stuff. I use their grease but not the oil because it has a nerotoxin in it which is very toxic. I now use 100% non-toxic Slip 2000 oil which is just as slick as the Tetra.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:05:15 AM EDT
Their gun oil smells like pig shit, that's all I know.

Wife said CLP is a go, but the pig-shit stuff is not an aphrodesiac.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:34:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

They changed their formula about 5 years ago. It smells more like Elmer's glue.

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:46:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

Please post a brand name when you say stuff like this. Break-Free CLP doesn't smell bad. The Royco stuff is worse than pig shit IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:39:18 PM EDT
PIG SHIT!!!! Dam!!!! That is what I use to lube my guns. It blows away all CLP's and gun oils...nothing better then genuswine pig shit for gun lube! How did you figure out my secreet???
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:43:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2005 10:44:35 AM EDT by Pastry_Slayer]
One thing I like about the Tetra, which I use in all my hanguns but am not so sure on rifles, is that the more you use it the more the teflon in it binds to the surfaces. After 5-6 cleanings and a few hundred rounds the weapon becomes easier to clean and less gunk sticks to it. The longer you use it the less of it you need.

Having said that, it sems to get a bit gummy in my bushmaster, possibly becasue of higher operating temps? Or just becasue the previous owner couldn't clean it for sh*t, and I'm still recovering.

Piston upper is on the way, and I plan on going tetra with that, as it has lower temps aft of the bolt face...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:28:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pastry_Slayer:
One thing I like about the Tetra, which I use in all my hanguns but am not so sure on rifles, is that the more you use it the more the teflon in it binds to the surfaces. After 5-6 cleanings and a few hundred rounds the weapon becomes easier to clean and less gunk sticks to it. The longer you use it the less of it you need.

Having said that, it sems to get a bit gummy in my bushmaster, possibly becasue of higher operating temps? Or just becasue the previous owner couldn't clean it for sh*t, and I'm still recovering.

Piston upper is on the way, and I plan on going tetra with that, as it has lower temps aft of the bolt face...

Carefull using oils with Teflon. The tefoln turns to acid at temps some guns barrels hit. There is a topic on it here somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:26:03 AM EDT
Tetra doesn't have Teflon or any other brand of PTFE I don't believe. It probably would be touted in their ads if it did.

I also don't know about believing it is a neurotoxin. It might be, hell Raid is a nerve agent, but I don't think it's enough to cause problmes unless you bathe in the stuff. They still say to apply the oil with your fingers or a rag. The fear of being sued would be enough to have that changed if there were enough danger. Still not a bright thing to do IMO, but I don't think I"m going to quit using it. All oils are dangerous inside your body, and I'm sure the synthetics are even worse.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:40:06 AM EDT
polyTETRAethylflourine
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:14:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Unicorn:
Tetra doesn't have Teflon or any other brand of PTFE I don't believe. It probably would be touted in their ads if it did.

I also don't know about believing it is a neurotoxin. It might be, hell Raid is a nerve agent, but I don't think it's enough to cause problmes unless you bathe in the stuff. They still say to apply the oil with your fingers or a rag. The fear of being sued would be enough to have that changed if there were enough danger. Still not a bright thing to do IMO, but I don't think I"m going to quit using it. All oils are dangerous inside your body, and I'm sure the synthetics are even worse.

Tetra has a MASSIVE ammount of teflon in it. Matter of fact that is where they get their name as mentioned above. Their are better oils that are better and safer in every way. I still use their grease though as it is a good product. It's the oil I avoid.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:23:07 PM EDT
Well I'm an idiot. Never even thought that they got their name from PTFE. Oops.

How is their grease different from the oil? I would think it's a very similar product.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:48:08 AM EDT

Well I'm an idiot. Never even thought that they got their name from PTFE. Oops.

How is their grease different from the oil? I would think it's a very similar product.

I just like how slick it is(the grease). It contains a lot of the same make up as the oil but I get less on my hands using the grease. For oil which I always make a mess with I use SLIP 2000 as it is 100% non-toxic.
Tetra is good stuff and extreemly slick, I just wish is was safer to use. I tested the oil on a wood stock. I put a few drops on a small spot and when I checked it a month later the wood finish has cracks in the surface. I tested Breakfree, SLIP 2000, FP-10, TW25B, Butches Gun Oil on the same stock and none harmed the wood like Tetra did. Those are a couple of reasons I no longer use it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:33:34 AM EDT
That makes sense. I'm a bit messy myself. I just liked the idea of using a lube that comes in both grease and oil so that I wouldn't have any compatibility issues.
Maybe I'll switch to TW25-B, but that was twice the price, even the Kleen-Bore version (made under license from Millcom).
I also have nearly a full 8 ounce and 1 ounce bottle. I'll probably just start weaing glove when ever cleaning. Not a bad idea anyway come to think of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 7:57:20 PM EDT by Tedster]
After cleaning my barrel with MPro-7, I always run a patch sprayed with Tetra Gun Spray through the barrel a few times. No matter how throughly I think I've cleaned my barrel, it seems that the Tetra Gun Spray always gets more contaminants out. I can tell because the patch is always grey.

I like having my guns always ready to shoot, and with the barrel coated with a light lubricant like the Tetra Gun Spray, I'm not afraid to fire it without running a dry patch through the barrel first. However, if I coated the barrel with a heavy oil, I would feel the need to run a dry patch through the barrel before firing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:26:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kevatc:
I've read with interest all the various opinions of what cleaning and lubricating products out there are deemed good and bad. Are the Tetra products decent? If you used only one product to clean and lube which would it be?

If limited to only one product, it would have to be CLP.

Limited to 2, it would be Shooters Choice for cleaning, and MD Labs XF-7 for lube and protection.

Tack
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:41:42 AM EDT
Instead of starting a new thread to ask this, I decided that bringing up an older one was better.

How well does Tetra work for rust prevention?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:03:22 PM EDT

Instead of starting a new thread to ask this, I decided that bringing up an older one was better.

How well does Tetra work for rust prevention?

I tested it in salt water. The grease did not do well at all and rusted pretty fast. The oil did very well and protect the steel for a couple days before sarting to rust.....almost as long as Breakfree. I used a 3% mixture(close to sea water and misted the steel every 12 hours).
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:05:02 AM EDT
I like Tetra. I use Tetra oil in all my handguns, and the grease in my M1A and Garands. The grease is very slick. I don’t know how it compares to Lubriplate or Plastilube, but it works great.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
Another vote for Tetra gun grease. I use it on my pistols, M1A aand sometimes my AR15s, but these tend to get CLP (no idea why...).

As background to why I am sold on Tetra gun grease for my pistols:

I have a 9mm Sig P229. If you know Sig pistols, you are probably aware that the barrel is blued, and that after very few rounds the bluing wears off, leaving a barrel which is not ... well ... aesthetically pleasing, lets say.

I tried re-bluing, and keeping the barrel oiled - blue came off again. I was re-bluing almost as a regular part of cleaning.

Then it occured to me that the oil could not be doing a particularly good job of lubrication. This was just cheap, generic "gun oil" (I didn't know any better at the time).

So I started looking around for something better, and tried white lithium grease. It performed somewhat better, but the blue still wore off and that grease tends to go on thickly and hold a lot of crap as the gun is used.

Then I read (somewhere ... ) a review of Tetra gun grease, so bought a tube to try.
It was much better. The blue still wore off, but it took much longer. After re-bluing, it still wore off, but after much, much longer. After about three re-bluings and continued use of Tetra gun grease, the blue no longer weares off. I attribute this to the advertised feature of the libricating particles getting embedded in the metal surfaces with repeated use.

Now it may be that my bluing technique got better (I REALLY don't think so ...) but my perception is that there is much less wear on that barrel surface after using Tetra gun grease.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:46:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
Another vote for Tetra gun grease. I use it on my pistols, M1A aand sometimes my AR15s, but these tend to get CLP (no idea why...).

As background to why I am sold on Tetra gun grease for my pistols:

I have a 9mm Sig P229. If you know Sig pistols, you are probably aware that the barrel is blued, and that after very few rounds the bluing wears off, leaving a barrel which is not ... well ... aesthetically pleasing, lets say.

I tried re-bluing, and keeping the barrel oiled - blue came off again. I was re-bluing almost as a regular part of cleaning.

Then it occured to me that the oil could not be doing a particularly good job of lubrication. This was just cheap, generic "gun oil" (I didn't know any better at the time).

So I started looking around for something better, and tried white lithium grease. It performed somewhat better, but the blue still wore off and that grease tends to go on thickly and hold a lot of crap as the gun is used.

Then I read (somewhere ... ) a review of Tetra gun grease, so bought a tube to try.
It was much better. The blue still wore off, but it took much longer. After re-bluing, it still wore off, but after much, much longer. After about three re-bluings and continued use of Tetra gun grease, the blue no longer weares off. I attribute this to the advertised feature of the libricating particles getting embedded in the metal surfaces with repeated use.

Now it may be that my bluing technique got better (I REALLY don't think so ...) but my perception is that there is much less wear on that barrel surface after using Tetra gun grease.

Very interesting! What brand of bluing do you use?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:57:55 PM EDT
If only one product? Hands down...CLP.

If 2 products...Shooters Choice for cleaning, and Mad Dog Labs XF-7 for lube and protection.

Do a search on the MD Labs XF-7 and you'll clearly see why I have used this for over a year now, and unless somethong else comes out that won't burn off, boil off, resists salt water and any other form of H2O, stays where you put it without "leaking" all over the place, will withstand temps in excess of 500 degrees F, stands up to full cycle automatic weapon fire, allows carbon to wipe off versus scraping it off on areas like the front of the bolt, and continues to run for over 2,000 rounds without cleaning.

I have used this on an LMT MRP for over 2800 rounds from the very first round, and I am a believer.

Do I believe in it? Yep! Do I care if you do? Nope!

Tack
Top Top