Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 10:58:29 AM EDT
Hi, Newbie here - Had a quick question for some of the people on here. I recently got an Olympic Arms M-4 style rifle, shot about 500 rounds through it before cleaning it ( I know ). After I did clean it I realized there are a few spots which I just can't seem to get to (inside the Bolt carrier and what not) that have a nice little chunks of carbon built up. As meticulous as I am with my other guns - it was really annoying me - Question is: Is there any harm in soaking all my little internal parts such as the bolt and carrier in Breakfree CLP for 24 hrs? I am hoping that by doing this, those little chunks just kinda float off, instead of me spraying and scrubbing and not really getting anywhere ( real tight fit inside the carrier ). Or will the soaking cause some sort of damage? Kinda dumb questions, I know - But any help would be great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:33:29 AM EDT
First of all welcome to Arfcom. Yes you can soak your bolt over night it will not hurt a thing . CLP will help with getting the carbon off with some scrubbing also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:57:32 PM EDT
SLIP2000 carbon cutter works great for soaking bolts and other parts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:02:42 PM EDT
i have never had any problems with the carbon build up in my bolts with around 10k through them now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
Leave it, per Armalite. Carbon is self limiting, it doesn't build up enough to cause any issues.

I quit scraping & soaking over 15,000 rounds ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:07:20 AM EDT
slip 2000 15 min soak job. carbon is all gone. CLP is not much of a cleaner, it just makes it as a cleaner. there are way better cleaners on the market than clp.

hopes no. 9 and soaking over night would wrok as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:27:42 PM EDT
Just leave it man. More problems with weapons can be attributed to overcleaning than undercleaning. Like the other poster said, it's self-limiting and won't cause any harm. Furthermore, I just happy to like the smell of a (non-Wolf) dirty receiver!
Top Top