Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 10:58:29 AM EDT
Hi, Newbie here - Had a quick question for some of the people on here. I recently got an Olympic Arms M-4 style rifle, shot about 500 rounds through it before cleaning it ( I know ). After I did clean it I realized there are a few spots which I just can't seem to get to (inside the Bolt carrier and what not) that have a nice little chunks of carbon built up. As meticulous as I am with my other guns - it was really annoying me - Question is: Is there any harm in soaking all my little internal parts such as the bolt and carrier in Breakfree CLP for 24 hrs? I am hoping that by doing this, those little chunks just kinda float off, instead of me spraying and scrubbing and not really getting anywhere ( real tight fit inside the carrier ). Or will the soaking cause some sort of damage? Kinda dumb questions, I know - But any help would be great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all welcome to Arfcom. Yes you can soak your bolt over night it will not hurt a thing . CLP will help with getting the carbon off with some scrubbing also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
SLIP2000 carbon cutter works great for soaking bolts and other parts.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i have never had any problems with the carbon build up in my bolts with around 10k through them now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave it, per Armalite.   Carbon is self limiting, it doesn't build up enough to cause any issues.

I quit scraping & soaking over 15,000 rounds ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
slip 2000 15 min soak job. carbon is all gone. CLP is not much of a cleaner, it just makes it as a cleaner. there are way better cleaners on the market than clp.

hopes no. 9  and soaking over night would wrok as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Just leave it man. More problems with weapons can be attributed to overcleaning than undercleaning. Like the other poster said, it's self-limiting and won't cause any harm. Furthermore, I just happy to like the smell of a (non-Wolf) dirty receiver!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top