Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/3/2005 9:38:51 PM EDT
I generally remove my EOTech after every trip to the range to completely clean and lube the rifle, but I find that I need to make minor windage and elevation adjustments the next time I shoot. I mainly remove it to protect it and because I am extremely anal about lightly lubing the flat-top rails after cleaning this particular AR. I was just wondering if you guys left your EOTechs (or any other types of aiming devices) on or took them off when cleaning your rifles?

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2005 10:26:51 PM EDT by djben]
I did the first few times I got it, then stopped when I realized it wasn't necessary. I tend to get an oily fingerprint on the glass every now and then while I'm cleaning the gun, but its easier for me to wipe that off the glass than it is to remove the eotech.

Lightly lubing the flat-top rails? I'm fairly new to the AR15 and I can't say I've heard of anyone needing to lube their rails after every range session
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:57:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djben:
Lightly lubing the flat-top rails? I'm fairly new to the AR15 and I can't say I've heard of anyone needing to lube their rails after every range session hr

I know that it isn't necessary but I am extremely anal when it comes to cleaning my guns. It is what some would call an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Call me old school, but I am a firm believer in lightly coating the exterior of all metal with a little CLP after cleaning a gun.

Also, I am going to try leaving the EOTech on during future cleaning sessions. I believe I can convince myself that nothing harmful made its way onto the flat-top rails under the EOTech and it doesn't need to be cleaned this time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:24:14 AM EDT
Leave the EOTech on during cleaning, I do, and I’m pretty picky about my cleaning as well.

Try applying your CLP to the rifle with a cheap 1” paint brush. I bought a cheap 1” brush and I trimmed a little off the ends of the bristles. This stiffens it up a bit and I simply brush off the exterior of the rifle with a little bit of CLP on the brush. I then follow up with a final wipe down using a black t-shirt.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:09:11 AM EDT
Iam also anal about cleaning and oiling my weapon when done using it. But you could take the eotech off every third or fifth time out!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:21:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:
Leave the EOTech on during cleaning, I do, and I’m pretty picky about my cleaning as well.

Try applying your CLP to the rifle with a cheap 1” paint brush. I bought a cheap 1” brush and I trimmed a little off the ends of the bristles. This stiffens it up a bit and I simply brush off the exterior of the rifle with a little bit of CLP on the brush. I then follow up with a final wipe down using a black t-shirt.

It's not as cheap, but I've always used a shaving cream brush.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:21:24 AM EDT
I've always been anal about protecting ptics from solvents and spray so I always use a cover.

I can think of two solutions, both of which Grant can hook you up with. The first is a simple, cheap neoprene cover that goes over the entire unit. It protects all surafces from sparys, solvents, you name it. The other is the Cadillac solution -- a LaRue mount. With it, the EoTech unit stays attached to the mount. You just flip the lever on the mount and the whole deal comes off. When you're done just reinstall and flip the lever to lock it back on. These mounts do feature return to zero capability. They also allow lower third cowitnessing since the mount raises the EoTech above the iron sight plane.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:46:56 PM EDT
Is it knid of like moving the furniture to vacuum?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:36:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:
like moving the furniture to vacuum?

Perfect answer,and ha ha funny too!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:28:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jmart:
I've always been anal about protecting ptics from solvents and spray so I always use a cover.

I can think of two solutions, both of which Grant can hook you up with. The first is a simple, cheap neoprene cover that goes over the entire unit. It protects all surafces from sparys, solvents, you name it. The other is the Cadillac solution -- a LaRue mount. With it, the EoTech unit stays attached to the mount. You just flip the lever on the mount and the whole deal comes off. When you're done just reinstall and flip the lever to lock it back on. These mounts do feature return to zero capability. They also allow lower third cowitnessing since the mount raises the EoTech above the iron sight plane.

+1 on the LaRue Mount for the EOTech...and every other LaRue Mount for that matter. 100% repeatability!

Tack
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:13:53 PM EDT
Gunz

Get yourself a LaRue mount. Like Tack said they are 100% reliable. I've been using one for the past year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:20:25 PM EDT
I use a GG&G Accucam on my EOTech. I took it off after shooting 9 boxes of Remington UMC because that shit carbon fouls like no other! The underside of the EOTech was covered in carbon where it sits over the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:24 PM EDT
I always remove mine and it always seems to lineup with the irons all the time so why not
Top Top