Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2005 4:47:33 PM EDT
I've been wondering, I haven't tried to remove the carbon build up on the tail of the bolt behind the rings... Should I scrape it off or leave it be?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to clean the carbon off.  
A good and easy way to get rid of all that nasty carbon is get a medience bottle (CVS,or Wallgreen Drug Store  type) fill it about 2/3 full with your favorite bore cleaner.  Montana Xtreme or Hoppes 9 will do just fine.  Drop the whole bolt into the medience bottle and soak it for a few minutes.  Take it out wipe it off.   If some carbon is still attached, use a steel brush or I like to use a green (army type) scouring pad.  Cut a small piece off, 1"x 2" size and use it to remove the remainder off.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah! I've got plenty of pill bottles I could use... thanks for the tip!

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
NO STEEL BRUSHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need to scrub using mechanical means, try using and old bore brush , old tooth brush or GI nylon weapons brush. You could even pick up a pack of brass cleaning brushes from the auto store or WalMart.

The soaking is ok. I soak my entire disassembled bolt and carrier in a 50/50 solution of Hoppes #9 and Turpentine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It is self limiting, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
KG-1 will disolve it practically on contact.  No need to soak parts in it.  KG also contains no ammonia.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
LEAVE IT.   Per Armalite.  Ck their website - the carbon is SELF LIMITING

I quit scraping like 15,000 rounds ago.

It only builds up a bit, the excess breaks off and is bye-bye
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
As in the soakin thread, F4YR is correct....don't worry about it! It won't hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are worried about it, use a few drops of Kroil and a little piece of green scouring pad, it will
come right off.

Weazer
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#10]
i have PERSONALLY seen a buddy's bushmaster bolt snap in two a year and a half ago while he was firing because he never cleaned the carbon. when we finally got it out, i could not believe how filthy it was. i have never left any carbon on my bolt or in my carrier since that day. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

i have PERSONALLY seen a buddy's bushmaster bolt snap in two a year and a half ago while he was firing because he never cleaned the carbon. when we finally got it out, i could not believe how filthy it was. i have never left any carbon on my bolt or in my carrier since that day. YMMV.

I'll wager there was more going on.

I have over 10,000 rounds on a Bushmaster that I don't clean carbon on.  I do clean the rifle, but I don't scrape carbon
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll wager there was more going on.

I have over 10,000 rounds on a Bushmaster that I don't clean carbon on.  I do clean the rifle, but I don't scrape carbon

parhaps. however, i wont risk it as i carry my rifle on duty. i hope it doesnt happen to anyone else, that's why i shared the story.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
How would carbon buildup cause the bolt to break? I'm lost here.

Edit: How about the cam pin? Ammo?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

it broke in two directly across the cam pin hole. he was a believer in the "i dont touch the carbon" group. as far as ammo? hell, you name it, he shot it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it broke in two directly across the cam pin hole. he was a believer in the "i dont touch the carbon" group. as far as ammo? hell, you name it, he shot it!

I still don't see how carbon buildup could have caused it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NO STEEL BRUSHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need to scrub using mechanical means, try using and old bore brush , old tooth brush or GI nylon weapons brush. You could even pick up a pack of brass cleaning brushes from the auto store or WalMart.

The soaking is ok. I soak my entire disassembled bolt and carrier in a 50/50 solution of Hoppes #9 and Turpentine.

NONSENSE!

I've been using the same stainless steel wire brush for over 10 years.  It hasn't even taken off the finish.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Rumor has it that a .308 round fits over the shaft and cleans much of the carbon.  However, I don't worry about it, and can't say this is true or false.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
That carbon is affecting the action somehow. I fired 180 rounds of remington UMC this weekend and when I pulled the BC after separating the two halves for cleaning I actually had to use the charging handle to break it free. I've never had a BC that tight during 6 years service in the military.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a wire wheel on the bench grinder. I can see where carbon particles would break off (self-limiting) and could "wedge" between the bolt bore and gas rings also breaking off a piece of a gas ring.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't worry about it.  It is self limiting.   It will blow away before it gets to be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Don't worry about it.  It is self limiting.   It will blow away before it gets to be a problem.

Tell that to the D.I.!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#22]
For you guys who absolutely must have a spotless bolt, try BreakFree Carbon Clean.  It will get you where you want to go without all that scrubbing, and with no risk of scratching the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
For you guys who absolutely must have a spotless bolt, try BreakFree Carbon Clean.  It will get you where you want to go without all that scrubbing, and with no risk of scratching the bolt.

Seriously though...  as stated above, I've been using a steel wire brush for like 10 years with no damage to the finish, let alone the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I use my fingernail and fp-10. comes off no problems. ammo XM193, imi 55 grain 223. rounds count usally under 200.

granted I run mt bolts wet with fp-10.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Carbon can get really bad there, especially after lots of full-auto fire. It needs to be cleaned; that is the only part I use steel brushes on, as the finish is already pretty much gone there anyway. Just don't let it get bad enough that it has to be basically chiseled off.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top