Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/13/2003 1:37:06 PM EDT
I have used FP-10 for years as a rust preventative and lubricant on several different types of firearms. I generally use a small amount. I have just acquired my first AR. I lubed it according to the USMC Operator's Manual specs, using FP-10. It is pretty oily inside, which I do not mind. But, I am wondering... Does Breakfree dry and leave just the teflon, or does it stay oily like FP-10. Seems like a dry film would attract and hold less grit. I will use FP-10 anyway as I all ready have it. But is this any reason to switch?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:58:12 PM EDT
BF does dry up eventually leaving a film. FP10 is good as well and alot of folks here swear by it. Personally......for an AR either will do your job just fine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:49:13 PM EDT
FP-10 is a slightly thicker oil and has no solvents.So it does leave a thicker film of oil on the surface and does not evaporate or run off nearly as fast as the Break Free. I find that exceptional especially for storage. So thats why you have a longer lasting, wet surface with the FP-10. In my opinion FP-10 is a much much better lubricant in every way. If your wanting a drier surface just wipe off the excess FP-10 after lubricating leaving a thin film of oil just as you would the Break Free. I use an application brush to apply FP-10 to my firearms.I put a few drops of FP-10 on the brush tip and spread it around.That leaves just the right amount/thin film on the parts.Really makes the outside of an AR look good too. The new Break Free has a higher content of oil so it will also stick around a little longer than it has in the past,but it still evaporates rather fast. Like Horik said either will work just fine. But in my opinion FP-10 is the best clp to use on any weapon. FP-10 also will not attract dust unless you leave a very heavy film of the oil on the surface.The same goes for Break Free. Just wipe off the excess FP-10 leaving a thin film and your good to go. I found that out in my last Colorado hunting trip. Raymond
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:47:31 AM EDT
Blankwaffe98, FP-10 doesn't have any solvents? Breakfree must not either then, right? Both FP-10 and BF are CLP's, so they both clean. IMO, FP-10 cleans better than BF. Or you could just ask George, the maker of FP-10. He is a member of ARF.com. Man I love this site! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:55:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2003 12:00:47 PM EDT by Blankwaffe98]
Hickboy, I have asked George and he says no solvents in FP-10.He uses a base "oil" that works like a solvent but that is not one.Check the MSDS and you will see no solvents listed also. Check here,he mentions it. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=174832 Hickboy if you want a ton of information and alot of reading go to: http://www.1911.com Do a search on FP-10 and start reading. Break Free does use solvents. Later. Raymond
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2003 8:18:55 PM EDT by Blankwaffe98]
Hickboy, Here is one George did today about FP-10. http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65669&perpage=25&pagenumber=2 Raymond
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:10:35 PM EDT
Thanks Blankwaffe98!!
Top Top