User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 9:10:08 PM EDT
How many of you are using Tetra Gun?

I've been using it for over 10 years.
GREAT stuff!

Increases velocity, accuracy and makes cleaning a lot easier.

I'm just a happy customer.

BTW, this stuff is awesome for making AR-type rifles look new. Simply put a few drops of the Tetra Gun oil on your fingertips and rub over entire surface of firearm, plastic stocks and all. Then wipe off excess with a rag and behold!

It does smell bad, but is non-toxic and environment friendly.

The cleaner works OK, but Hoppes still works better on stubborn deposits.

However, the TG oil, and the TG grease are awesome!

I think Clint at Fulton Armory recommends it too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the stuff. Ive been using it for almost a year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Do to the lack of relies on here, it seems as though not many have tried it.

Too bad!

Increased velocity, more consistant accuracy, easier cleaning, and oxidation prevention.

In one test, a .308 rifle was tested before and after treatment with Tetra Gun, and the bullet velocity went up almost 100 fps.

I treat every gun I own with it. New guns get it first thing.

Again, I have NO interests in TG other than as a satisfied long time user.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Heya Turbozag,

I think lots of folks have tried it, and it's a good product, but there are others that are better. Many folks find something that works well for them, and thats the long and the short of it. They settle on it and never try anything new. Nothing wrong with that, except they may be missing out on something else that is functionally superior in every way.

Did you ever try FP-10?
If you have an open mind (or willing to give it a go and fair shake) you, or anyone can get a sample by emailing us at [email][email protected][/email], which is Amy Sue's email. Just tell her you heard about it on the ar15.com forum and supply your mailing address. Everything is confidential and we don't save, give out, or sell ANY info of our customers or potential customers.

Give it a shot. You've got nothing to loose (except the Tetra) and everything to gain.

Best regards,
George
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Turbozag:

I’ve never used Tetra, so I’m certainly not disagreeing with you.

However, your statement that it increases velocity by 100 fps or so is, in my view, not necessarily good.  Rifle accuracy is dependant upon consistency.  Seems to me that as the Tetra in a rifle bore is worn or burnt off, it will cause the bullet velocity to change.

(Ironically, in some situations lubricant in the bore can apparently cause a reduction in velocity instead – but that’s a different issue.)

Anyway, when I’m really concerned with accuracy, I use a thin coat of regular (cheap) gun oil in the bore strictly as a rust preventative.  (I use FP-10 everywhere else.)

I patch this oil out of the bore before shooting the rifle, in part, to avoid velocity changes.  I’m afraid modern, really high quality oils are going to be too tenacious to remove easily.

Admittedly, I’ve never done any testing to confirm my concerns.

Just something to think about.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]

The increased velocity is a result of molecules of a Teflon-like polymer molecule (400 times smaller than a Teflon molecule) filling in the "porous" depressions in the barrel metal. In theory, "polishing" the bore to a smoother condition. The velocity increase is the result of less friction in the barrel post TG treatment. Velocity is consistent after initial treatment "curing" process.

The heat and/or friction from the bullets passing through the barrel "cure" the molecules in place. The treatment causes a "short and temporary" instability in accuracy, which quickly stabalizes and becomes more consistently "tight". This take up to 50 rounds or so depending on the caliber etc. One interesting thing is that no matter how clean you think you have the barrel, after you treat it with the Tetra Gun, the first bullet you fire from the barrel will leave a black "ring" arround the bullet-hole on the paper target. Then you experience some inconsistency for 4 or 5 shots.

They claim it's a "space shuttle" spinoff product. The results of the Tetra on a lubricity-measuring device is hard to argue with. It beats about every "popular" product it was compared against, including RemOil with Teflon, Break Free, and many more. Whether "lubricity" can be overdone, is another question...

I can only testify as to my personal results, having used it for over 10 years on many firearms. There is NO doubt that it helps reduce/prevent oxidation. There is no doubt that it makes cleaning easier after the initial "super clean" and Tetra Gun treatment. As far as increasing accuracy or even increasing consistency, I can only speculate. Maybe I've been lucky. But I treat every new gun I get with it first thing. And I've had some outstanding results!

I agree with what Firepower said about people finding what works and sticking to it. I'm always looking for the "a better mouse trap"...
So I will take him up on his kind offer for a free sample of his product.

It'll have to be good to BREAK me FREE of Tetra Gun! :-)

I'll try the FP-10. I have a new LTR on the way as I type this!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Turbozag:

Thanks for the response.

One of these days (if I can ever get around to it) I hope to try a Teflon bearing lubricant in an accurate barrel and see what actually happens.

Right now I admit I’m just speculating.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I use it sometimes its a good lube, not verry a verry got rust prevent. Treated a rem 700 vssf 308, that appears copper does not build up in the barrel anymore. The grease works greatr on my M1, M1A, and 1911, same as tw25b. dont really care for the spray cleaner, thers a lot better out there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Tertra is very good stuff.  I use both the oil and the grease....both work wonderfully.  I have some samples of the Slip 2000 stuff and am gonna try some of that out one of these days, too.  I also bought some of their carbon cleaner...I had to give it a shot based on the stuff I hear about it here...plus the company frontman amused the hell out of me at the SAR show in Phoenix a few weeks ago.  Great guy.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top