Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:53:08 PM EDT
I was taking out the screws in the back of my A2 buttstock and they have yellow locktite on them. I never saw yellow locktite before I have only seen the red and blue locktite until now. My question is do I have to replace the locktite with the same yellow locktite before I put the screws back in, and whats the strength difference between the yellow red and blue?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:16:09 PM EDT
Never head of yellow Locktite (though it does also come in purple and green!). Maybe it’s not a Locktite product? I have a vague recollection of seeing screws with some sort of yellow sealant applied to them, but I kinda think that was applied to the screw and allowed to dry. I don’t think it was a glue like locktite. Personally, I see no need to Locktite those screws anyway. Sorry I couldn’t help more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:19:34 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if it's locktite or not, but it looks like it would be hard as hell to get off the screws.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:40:12 AM EDT
I once saw what appeared to be some kind of yellow lock-tite on the mounting hardware that came with a sight I bought for my compound bow - that's the only time I ever saw anything like that, myself... - georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:48:08 AM EDT
Theres no reason to locktite the stock screw, suspect the yellow is spray-paint which is applied to differentiate them from screws of similar type at the factory where assembly was taking place. Not an uncommon sight. Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:01:14 AM EDT
Colt seems to currently be using some kind of yellow thread locker on buttplate screws. I recently removed the buttstock from a new Colt and encountered mild difficulty in removing the screws due to the yellow threadlocker. It's not LocTite, but it does appear to be a threadlocking compound of some kind. --dulcenota
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 6:15:43 AM EDT by 556Cliff]
My stock is a Bushmaster, I guess their both doing it. I wonder why though? It's not paint, it's to built up around the threads of the screws. They were pretty hard to get out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:52 PM EDT
My suspicion is that the yellow material is being used in a similar fashion as Locktite, except that it’s not a glue but just some sort of thick material that helps prevent the screw from vibrating loose. I keep thinking I’ve also seen something similar on screws in electronic equipment (around motors and such).
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:38:48 PM EDT
So what are we going to call this mystery thread locker until we find out what it is[?]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:33:39 PM EDT
Well I E-mailed Bushmaster and now we know. Here's what they E-mailed me back.>"It is a threadlocker called Nylock which is called out for in the Mil Spec as a requirement for Government rifles. The Nylock can be red or yellow in color".< I didn't think that when I began this thread I would be posting the answer to my own question. Thanks for the replies.
Top Top