Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 3:30:35 AM EDT
Where can I get a good one peice coated cleaning rod long enough for my 20" AR and bolt action rifles?

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:33:21 AM EDT
Dewey coated rods are fantastic. Brownells
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:41:05 AM EDT
Dewey or Bore Tech. I get mine from [url]http://www.lockstock.com/[/url] Really great people to deal with. Danny
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:24:15 AM EDT
I also have a Dewey coated rod, it's great. I'd also recommend a bore guide.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:29:06 PM EDT
Dewey. Remember to buy the standard tip adaptor ( and an extra or two ) Dewey uses proprietary jags, brushes and loops...the adaptor lets you use standard commercial jags, brushes and loops.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:35:19 PM EDT
Assuming you clean your AR from the chamber end and with a bore guide, don’t forget that the rod needs to long enough to clear all of that. If you get a Dewey, try to get one with a 8X32 female tip. Some of them have a male tips, which means you’ll have to use an adapter to use regular jags, brushes, etc. Admittedly, the adapter is no big deal. The Dewey is definitely a good rod. The Bore Tech is a bit better, but quite a bit more expensive. Brownells is an excellent source for the above items if you can get their business discount. They tend to a bit expensive without it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2003 7:55:23 PM EDT by G35]
Hoppe's One-Piece Graphite Cleaning Rods I love this one. I bought several extras in case they might get discontinued. I SWEAR - I have NO CLUE why people never mention this excellent rod. You people are missing out !!!! Hell, think out-side of the box, and forget bragging-rights "DEWEY, DEWEY, DEWEY..." Look around folks, open your eyes. [img]http://www.hoppes.com/getimage.asp?table=inv&field=image2&keyname=invky&keyvalue=9005900[/img] [url]http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9005900&catky=9946092&subcatky1=4548821&subcatky2=2000303[/url] Qoute From Manf: No longer do professionals and serious sportsmen have to fear inadvertent metal contact that can harm fine rifling and affect accuracy.These new one-piece graphite cleaning rods were created by Hoppe's to eliminate worries.Combining high strength and light weight, these rods are 100% graphite, not coated metal that can chip and peel. The advanced design has a comfortable, ergonomic handle too-the rifle rod even rotates to follow delicate barrel rifling. Length 36 inches.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:40:15 AM EDT
I believe that if you compare the rods side by side. Your mind will be made. Dewey Joe
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:19:47 AM EDT
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to check out a couple more sporting goods stores to see if they have these rods in stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2003 5:43:17 PM EDT by DaveS]
Bill, Don't know where you live.................... David's Gun Room on Buford Highway carries Dewey rods. Georgia Precision [ARFCOM dealer] has Bore Tech and possibly Dewey. I rate them as the two best rods a person could purchase for the finest of firearms...... like my sub-MOA AR-10s! The Dewey sits idle, now, while my various caliber Bore Techs stay busy. Like I said, they are the two finest rods out there..........but, there ain't a da-da-damn thing that comes close to a Bore Tech. [:D] Dave S
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[b]G35[/b]: I’ve been looking at those Hoppes rods in the Brownells catalog. Unfortunately, when I think of graphite, I think of pencil lead – which certainly wouldn’t make a very good cleaning rod!! I’m wondering how susceptible these are to breakage or having their threads stripped? Any idea?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:06:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 199: [b]G35[/b]: I’ve been looking at those Hoppes rods in the Brownells catalog. Unfortunately, when I think of graphite, I think of pencil lead – which certainly wouldn’t make a very good cleaning rod!! I’m wondering how susceptible these are to breakage or having their threads stripped? Any idea?
View Quote
The material is actually a graphite COMPOSITE. It is similiar to a fishing rod. Like a fishing rod, it will flex without breaking. I have had tight patches which required severe pushing, and it flexed a lot, but did not harm it in any way. It is tough and flexible. Regarding the threads, the rod has a brass insert bonded into the end. Brushes are threaded into this brass section. I purchased mine at my local gun store. I have seen them on Midway. It seems some customer comments are negative on this rod. But, I have had no problem with mine. [url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/438020[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:55:07 AM EDT
Check out Georgia Precision, they have everything you need and they are an industry partner here. I highly recommend their AR bore guide. I got one and it fits the receiver/chamber like a glove. Shabo
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:58:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2003 2:42:14 AM EDT by RickDel]
removed... Started new thread
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:36:43 PM EDT
[b]G35[/b]: Seems like a good concept, limited a bit – based on the reviews you cited – by some quality control problems in the implementation. Thanks for the info.
Top Top