Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2003 7:59:18 PM EDT
I'll wager it ISN'T Breakfree.

Is there any CLP that does a good job that doesn't stink like Hell?

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Firepower FP-10.Smells like cinnamon.Love the stuff.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
CLP stinks?

And where can I get some FP-10?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
www.fp10.com
www.bushmaster.com
www.dsarms.com
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't get enough of the smell of FP-10!!! No, I don't sniff it, but I do like the smell. [:D]

P.S.- Hoppes #9 smells like banannas, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't get enough of the smell of FP-10!!! No, I don't sniff it, but I do like the smell. [:D]

View Quote

Hoppes 9 contains Bananna oil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You think Breakfree stinks? What the hell? I douse on a little after every shower, I love the stuff!

Of course I also like the smell of diesel, burnt gun powder and WD40, so maybe I have a chemical imbalance or something.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think BreakFree smells bad, unless you use the spray can.. then you can really smell it.  I still don't think it's a foul odor though.  FP-10 smells like cinnamon, Eezox smells like citrus.  I don't remember Mil-comm TW25B or their MC2500 oil having a smell.

The nice thing about the Mil-comm products is that they are completely non-toxic in every way.  You can eat the stuff.  That can be a big plus for people working on firearms all day (no, not eating the stuff ;).  FP-10 is also non-toxic as far as inhilation goes.  I think it can be toxic if you swallow it though.  BreakFree and Eezox will both make you sick if you use it with poor ventilation, they are both considered inhalation toxins/irritants.  Consult the MSDS of each for more specific information.  MSDS reports detail how toxic and in what way each chemical is AND even have a subjective description of the smell.  For instance, FP-10's MSDS says it smells like.. *drum roll* cinnamon!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Whiner

[flame]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hoppes 9 contains Bananna oil.
View Quote

Are you serious??
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think BreakFree smells bad, unless you use the spray can.. then you can really smell it.
View Quote

Why is it that the spray cans smell so bad, it almost runs me out of the room ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
wyvrn,

After completing the changeover from Breakfree to TW25B in our system,Quarterlys were due,so in the process everything got the dunk in the Sonic tank and then coated with the Mill-Comm.

Soon I started getting the "Concerns program"(Unofficial back channel for diming someone out via a hand written note in my locker..) snitches.

"It smells like one of the girls got suntan lotion on the rifle(No.XXXXXXX) I was issued today."

"Rifle #XXXXXX smells of some sort of coconut facial cream,check it out."

"The rifles aren't as stinky all of a sudden,thanks!"

I talked to Mr Furlong about it,and he laughed outloud.
He admitted to using a slight bit of fragrance in the stuff.Whatever it is,it isn't obnoxious or my herd would be raising a hell of a fuss!

FP-10 does have a Cinnamon kiss to it,and I gotta admit.I like it.
Always have been partial to Cinnamon gum over Mint.

Just wish Sweets would so something about the sinus ripping,tear jerking,and eyeball burning stench of their 7.62 copper solvent.

When I'm half asleep and scrubbing bores,the last thing I want is smelling salts!
Ruins the flavor of the Coffee for then next hour!

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is it that the spray cans smell so bad, it almost runs me out of the room?
View Quote

My guess is because more tiny particles of BF CLP are being shot around the air.  Compare sneezing to spitting a loogie.  When you're dripping BF CLP onto parts, there's not really any mist.  When you spray it though, there are tiny particules you can't even see being shot in all directions.  Here's another lovely thought for you.. when you take a sh*t and you smell it, or when you flush the toilet and you get a good wiff.. that's microscopic sh*t particules that you're inhaling!  Keep your face away when you flush! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Just wish Sweets would so something about the sinus ripping,tear jerking,and eyeball burning stench of their 7.62 copper solvent.

When I'm half asleep and scrubbing bores,the last thing I want is smelling salts!
View Quote

I use Barnes CR-10.  I did some tests and the patches with Barnes CR-10 came out the most blue which told me it was removing the most copper.  Kind of basic but sometimes the simple tests give the truth.  It doesn't smell to bad either, though I didn't exactly stick it to my nose and take a wiff.  The first time out shooting though after cleaning with that stuff.. whew, the first 50 going through are stinky!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I think spray can CLP smells a little like carrots.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#15]
FP-10 smells like Cinnamin

Clenzoil smells minty

Tetra-oil smells like pig shit...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
CLP smells good!

FP10 smells great!

EEZOX smells greatest!

I actually like the smell of 'em all!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]
 Tertra Lube always reminds my of the styrofoam cups of earthworms you buy at the baitstore....always makes me want to go fishing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You think Breakfree stinks? What the hell? I douse on a little after every shower, I love the stuff!

Of course I also like the smell of diesel, burnt gun powder and WD40, so maybe I have a chemical imbalance or something.
View Quote

Exactly, I was gooing to say the smell of the breakfree burning off and the burnt powder is one of the best parts of shooting the Ar.    
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
What CLP Smells LEAST Like An Old Gumdrop That's Been Pulled Out of a Bat's Ass?
View Quote

I didn't mind the smell but after you're post I thought I would experiment...It tastes nothing like a gumdrop that was pulled out of a bats ass.  I liked the gumdrop more, the bat still has a stupid grin on his face.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why is it that the spray cans smell so bad, it almost runs me out of the room?
View Quote

My guess is because more tiny particles of BF CLP are being shot around the air.  Compare sneezing to spitting a loogie.  When you're dripping BF CLP onto parts, there's not really any mist.  When you spray it though, there are tiny particules you can't even see being shot in all directions.  Here's another lovely thought for you.. when you take a sh*t and you smell it, or when you flush the toilet and you get a good wiff.. that's microscopic sh*t particules that you're inhaling!  Keep your face away when you flush! [:D]
View Quote

Thanks for the sh*t instructions, any more tips ? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the sh*t instructions, any more tips ? [;)]
View Quote

Inspect the tissue after you wipe![:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I wish I could say how Selma Hayek smells with Hoppes #9 behind her ears...I can only imagine :^)
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#23]
BreakFree smells relatively OK as far as gun cleaning liquids go...

You want to smell something really, really bad, try some schedule D RoyCo CLP. Not only is it rank, but also very strong - a tiny bit of it stinks up the entire house and gets you banished to the backyard.

Yes, Hoppe's #9 has banana oil in it, but it's a cleaning solvent, not a lube.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#24]
FAVORITE SMELLS; CLP, PUSSY AND MONEY.  THAT COVERS EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BreakFree smells relatively OK as far as gun cleaning liquids go...
View Quote

My BreakFree doesn't have much of a smell at all, but then I have a couple pints of the "old school" CLP I've been using up slowly.

You want to smell something really, really bad, try some schedule D RoyCo CLP. Not only is it rank, but also very strong - a tiny bit of it stinks up the entire house and gets you banished to the backyard.
View Quote

I use lots of Royco CLP for everything.  It is pretty rank.  It smells like nothing so much as a pack of Gummi Bears dissolved in a vat of gear oil.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#26]
How much do I like Breakfree CLP? [puke]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top