Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2003 8:39:03 PM EDT
On FP-10's website,www.fp10.com it says that you can apply FP-10 then wipe it off so that it is dry to the touch, but it will still lube because the vapors of the oil are still present. How long and how well will it lube for when wiped off and you are shooting?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:29:01 AM EDT
I personally dont know,to tell you the truth.Ive never tried it. I have talked with a few folks at the range that says it lasts along time.I prefer to see some lube on my weapons though. But the way the oil basically works is that it uses chlorinated halogens to place a polymer or barrier fim on the surface of the metal chemically.George Fennell says it forms a matrix film.The matrix retains the lubricant,so after the barrier film has been formed you can wipe it dry to the touch and there still be lube there on a microscopic level. Call the 1-800-227-7049 ext.229 or just ask for George.He will be more than willing to go into detail with you about it.Ive called the man and aggravated him so much its a shame.Darn nice fella. Raymond
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:14:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hickboy: On FP-10's website,[url]www.fp10.com[/url] it says that you can apply FP-10 then wipe it off so that it is dry to the touch, but it will still lube because the vapors of the oil are still present. How long and how well will it lube for when wiped off and you are shooting?
View Quote
------- Technically you can get away with doing this. How many rounds? It depends. I wouldn't bet my life on any arbitrary number. Or a weapon that wasn't lubed. My advise is to never fire your AR with a dry bolt, or when not properly lubricated. That way, one doesn't have to worry about it, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:36:55 AM EDT
I've heard that our troops are running their M16's totally dry in Iraq. Since they have the factory baked on dry lube, it doesn't hurt anything, just makes parts wear down faster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:17:23 PM EDT
I ran my m16 dry in Iraq (I just came home about a month ago). Thankfully I never fired my rifle in combat but did on a range and I found that it functioned fine dry. We kept our weapons dry because CLP would attract sand and cause binding. Given a choice, except in that climate, I would always run it with a bit of lube on the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:29:54 PM EDT
I bought two large bottles of Shooters Choice FP-10 several years ago. It's an excellent lube, but its not a very good cleaner. I do not consider it to be a CLP replacement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:28:10 PM EDT
AR15fan,try some of the newer Firepower FP-10.Its much better than the old stuff. Raymond
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:16:59 PM EDT
FIREPOWER FP-10 is a CLP. The Shooters Choice is just a lubricant version of FirePower. The FP-10 is the original and then Shooters Choice arranged to make a lube with the Fire Power without the cleaner. I've been using the FP-10 since the late 80's and it's a Great CLP. JD
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:20:16 PM EDT
hickboy Have you ever read or heard of the fairy tale called the "Emperors new clothes"? It's all about this emperor that is truly vain. One day, his tailors made some new clothes for him - nice except they were invisible - they didn't exist. But they fooled the emperor into believeing that the clothes were not only real but very handsom. Now to FP-10. If you believe the lube still exists when it disappears, then by all means continue to use it. But, I will not use it until I hear a lot more anecdotal experiences. Doug
Top Top