Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2003 5:43:18 PM EDT
What do you guys think is the best lube (Not CLP) out there for firearms is? Ever tried or heard of Snake Oil or Kellube?
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
TW25B
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
TW25B
View Quote

What is this type lube and where is to be found at? Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
With out a doubt Mil-comm's TW-25B.Like Ive said before,its extreme.
www.mil-comm.com
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Militec.

Very slick, stays put, and nothing sticks to it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't TW-25B have PTFE (Teflon)? Isn't that sort of a downside for a firearm lube?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Doesn't TW-25B have PTFE (Teflon)? Isn't that sort of a downside for a firearm lube?
View Quote

I am no expert here, just repeating what I heard - Telfon hurts nothing except if teflon is place inside the barrel.  Even then, this is debatable.  Some argue that if there is teflon in the barrel, the first few shots will have less accuracy until the teflon gets "burned" out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
TW25B
View Quote

What is this type lube and where is to be found at? Thanks WarDawg
View Quote

I prefer to buy it direct.

[url]http://www.mil-comm.com/main.cfm?cat=Firearms[/url]

Just two weeks ago, I purchased an 8 oz. jar of TW25B.  Happy, Happy !!!!

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/33515507.jpg[/img]

8 ounce jar
$39.85/item

Below is the link to take you to their Order page -
[url]https://www.mil-comm.com/order/order.cfm?cat=Online_Store[/url]

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
TW25B is a grease? I thought it was an oil. Where do you use grease on a firearm?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes its considered a grease to a certain extent.
It does not contain any thickeners or soaps.The thickness/body to the lube is the PTFE as per John at Mil-comm.
The TW-25B contains a very high content of PTFE as well as metallic salts to create a barrier film.The PTFE that is used in the TW-25B is round rather than powdered flakes.
Its very thin as greases are concern and spreads much like a heavy/thick lube like LSA.
Does it work,yes indeed.

As far as PTFE causing problems I cant say that I have ever noticed in the years that I used Break Free,which also contains PTFE,that it caused a problem.
Fliers on the first and second shot could be more likely caused from a very clean bore and residual lubrication in the bore,and or cold barrel first shots.This is why most will fire a couple of foulers to set the bore before setting a target.Thats why as a hunter I always set my scope settings for first clean bore/cold shot.When sighting in I always clean and pause long enough for the barrel to cool.Afterall you usually only get one round off at large game like deer and elk and it will be on a cold and clean bore.At least on my rifles anyway.
The POI will have minimal affect on following rounds,well that depends on how serious you are at your target shooting.
Alot of bench shooters go to extreme's to cool the barrel between shots.
Learning how the rifle shoots with a clean cold bore as well as a hot or cold fouled bore has its advantages in hunting and target shooting.
Eitherway I cant see that the PTFE has ever caused me a probem.But as mentioned some will argue otherwise.
But thats my opinion on the PTFE.
Raymond

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh and by the way.I have found that its much easier to just use the MC-2500 oil on the bore as its much easier to apply and remove.Not to mention cheaper.
Also I was told by the fine folks at Mil-comm that the TW-25B will not bond or create the barrier film on chromed surfaces.
So if you have chromed parts or bore as found in the AR15's you will not see the advantages of the lube in that area anyway.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was down at LEO firearms instructor school, I noticed that the lube provided was Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That seems to be the latest trend....
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Astro-Glide
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Astro-Glide
View Quote

[spank] . Sick dude, very sick... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I was down at LEO firearms instructor school, I noticed that the lube provided was Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That seems to be the latest trend....
View Quote

Yeah when I went through the Academy with class 640 we had to use 1970's dated surplus LSA and RBC.I would have much rather had CLP.
Not to mention we were only allowed just a few minutes to clean.
In those situations I think cost is the main issue.Function and reliability is really not.They want you to clear malfunctions under pressure.Not to mention the rocks in the holster and the ear bending.
When I took my S.W.A.T. advanced H&K MP5 training and qualification at Palmyra we used Break Free clp.But that is a whole other story.
The only time I will use a automotive engine oil on my weapons is when I have no FP-10,TW-25B or Break Free for that matter.I have alot of all,so I dont see any problems for me in the near future.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was told by the fine folks at Mil-comm that the TW-25B will not bond or create the barrier film on chromed surfaces.
So if you have chromed parts or bore as found in the AR15's you will not see the advantages of the lube in that area anyway.
View Quote

I really, really dislike saying anything that conflicts with what the manufactorer says (they know best.  they make the stuff).  But, I feel that I must disagree here.

The main reason I was "sold" on tw25b is by the performance it had inside the carrier.  As we know, the carrier interior is chrome lined.  Tw25b total wipes clean inside the carrier.  CLP would burn off, and allow carbon to deposit inside the carrier.  But, tw25b performs great here inside the carrier.  I take a qtip, and just gently wipe the carrier inside CLEAN.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was told by the fine folks at Mil-comm that the TW-25B will not bond or create the barrier film on chromed surfaces.
View Quote

I really, really dislike saying anything that conflicts with what the manufactorer says (they know best.  they make the stuff).  But, I feel that I must disagree here.

The main reason I was "sold" on tw25b is by the performance it had inside the carrier.  As we know, the carrier interior is chrome lined.  Tw25b total wipes clean inside the carrier.  CLP would burn off, and allow carbon to deposit inside the carrier.  But, tw25b performs great here inside the carrier.  I take a qtip, and just gently wipe the carrier inside CLEAN.
View Quote

Yeah the TW-25B does not burn away and lasts.But does it actually create the barrier film/polymer and bond chemically to the chrome?
John at Mil-comm told me it will not bond with the chrome/nickel.Since chrome/nickel is non-reactive to the surface treating processes.
Thats what I was refering to.
Will it stick and stay put allowing wipe off cleaning,in my experience yes.But it may not lubricate as well or stay put as long on chrome surfaces.
I did not mean to sound like I was taking anything away from TW-25B.I love the stuff man.Just sharing what I was told.
Something else John said was to make sure to not leave anymore than a very thin film of TW-25B in the firing pin recess of the bolt,as it could cause drag/mis-fires.He actually recommended the MC-2500 oil for that specifically.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Blankwaffe98,

Thanks for clarifing. [beer]  I did not take offense with your comments.  I just wanted to share my experience for the sake of other readers that might be considering tw25b.  Thanks for posting the info that you got from Mil-Comm.  [beer]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Blankwaffe98,

Thanks for clarifing. [beer]  I did not take offense with your comments.  I just wanted to share my experience for the sake of other readers that might be considering tw25b.  Thanks for posting the info that you got from Mil-Comm.  [beer]
View Quote

No problem brother.
I just wanted to make sure my comments was not perceived as negative.Only that it was easier to use the MC-2500 oil in the chrome lined bore for protection.It also lessens the likely hood of too much lube in the bore or chamber.
In my Armalite I have to use the MC-25 cleaner or Hoppe's #9 to get my bore and chamber clean with TW-25B or MC-2500.Followed by a patch of alcohol,dry patch and oil with MC-2500.
John also said it was easier to use the MC-2500 oil on the fire control parts/lower as it is easier to apply and it penetrates.
Or you can use the TW-25B EP spray in those areas,but he said the EP spray would also place alcohol in the confined areas that would have to be evaporated quickly due to the amount of moister it attracts.
If Tw-25B is going to be used in those confined areas its best to just apply it and blow the TW-25B in with compressed air,working it into the pins etc..
Personally I just used the MC-2500 on the lower as directed and have had no problems.
HTH
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Astro-Glide
View Quote

View Quote

What?  Did I say something wrong? [naughty]

[sex]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Astro-Glide
View Quote

View Quote

What?  Did I say something wrong? [naughty]

[sex]
View Quote

[Sick grin] Maybe?? [/Sick grin]

So nobody has ever tried Snake Oil or Kellube?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been using Kellube on my duty 92F for years. I have no complaints and will continues to use it.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, here's a (semi) pertinent post:

I use snake oil on my hunting knives, but I've never used it on my firearms.  Seems to be a good rust preventative, but I can't speak to it's lubricating properties.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top