Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2003 3:22:48 AM EDT
I searched for such a topic thinking it must have been discussed previously, but drew a blank.

Isn't it necessary to clean the gas port (hole on the barrel where gas goes through) and the gas tube once in a while? How? (I can't reach the port, and for the gas tube, I don't have a pipe cleaner that's long enough. As far as using spaghetti, as a news report suggested months ago that some soldiers were doing in Iraq well... it is funny, but that's it.)

Thanks!

Alex

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
LEAVE IT ALONE.

It is self cleaning. With the pressure of the gas that passes through it, it will not become clogged. In fact, more trouble can be found *if* you do try to clean it especially with those long pipe cleaners you see at the gunshows. Get one stuck (easy to do) and you will need a whole new gas tube. Anyone that is selling the idea of "cleaning the gas tube" is selling hype.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]
While rebel above has good advice and cleaning of gas tube is done every time ya squeeze off a round w/ tens of thousands of psi gas pressure, blowing the tube clean, here's why I clean mine every time I clean my rifle and how.

I use Sweets 7.62 as a bore cleaner. It's an ammonia based highly caustic type cleaner, which [b]IF[/b] it is not cleaned from the rifle bore properly can ruin your bore. As I clean the rifle generally while still warm (not hot as this would melt the "NYLON" only bore brushes we use, as mentor expressed, "the object is removal of copper guilding from the bore, not the introduction of brass to it") from shooting and use SuperTech 2000 carb-cleaner from WalMart (because it has none of the bad/noxious stuff in it) as a rinse for ridding the bore of the Sweets, I also use it to blow any Sweets which may have accumilated in the gas tube while aggressively brushing the bore.

Simply stick the little red-tube, which comes w/ the carb-cleaner into the end of the gas-tube and give it a couple squirts, this flushes any of the Sweets ?(or any accumilations for that matter, BTW, careful of your eyes as IT will squirt back at ya, and that shit burns), which may have gotten in there while cleaning and keeps your gas tube squeaky clean.

This is not necessary, just something I was taught to do, based on the cleaning method and products used to clean our rifles, semi-auto or bolt rifles, which never varies. Sweets, ST2000 and CLP for lubing upon completion of our range sessions.

Hope this is some help, but understand, it's NOT necessary for the majority of AR15 shooters.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#3]
i know i am contributing to the delinquency of a minor but i spray "Carbon Blast" down the gas tube with the red straw that comes with it.  i get dirty liquid so it must be doing some good.  i realize there is no build up and i am just removing the carbon that sitting in the tube but it makes me feel good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated, it doesn't really need to be cleaned, especially with those long pipe cleaners which can do more harm than good.

You can, however, spray a shot of brake cleaner from the receiver end of the tube through it. This isn't really all that necessary but as stated, once again, it will probably flush out any remaining gunk.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top