Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2003 4:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 4:19:35 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
First off, thanks for all the information here. I've been poking around for a few days and have learned a lot.

I have two Colt AR-15 Sporter HBARs and over the years have put between 10 and 12,000 rounds through each of them. While they have been ultra reliable and very good to me I'm starting to think about collecting commonly needed spare parts. Any ideas on what parts I should be looking for? Also, is there a decent online parts source that you guys can recommend?

I'm not sure exactly what version of HBARs I have. They lack a bayonet lug and each has the small colt blocking piece in the lower receiver. Here is a pic of one of them:

www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=4406

The other rifle is the exact same model but it lacks the custom trigger, scope, taclight, and cheekpiece of the one I pictured.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 9:39:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2003 9:58:36 PM EDT by b0ne]
Mostly trigger group and bolt parts... Trigger pin Trigger spring Disconnector Disconnector spring Hammer pin Hammer spring Firing pin Firing pin retaining pin Bolt cam pin Extractor spring and insert Extractor pin Ejector and spring Ejector retaining pin Bolt gas rings Magazine release spring A few other parts, depending on your taste There are "spare parts kits" available just for this purpose, stocked with nothing but the most commonly replaced parts as well as the most commonly "shot across the living room and lost" springs, detents, and pins. Mainly the small stuff that takes the most wear. Not "lower parts kits", those are for building up complete lowers, just the spare parts. Here's one from Bushmaster: [url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/afield.asp[/url] Looks like a long list, and it is, but they're mostly tiny parts, fits easily into your buttstock compartment with plenty of room to spare. You will need to get the right size pins for your Colt, whichever size it uses.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:10:35 AM EDT
A spare parts kit was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:20:50 AM EDT
CJan, since you have two rifles, why not keep extras on hand for both? I have two HBAR Sporters myself, man, they are great ain't they?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:45:06 AM EDT
Personally, I keep a complete set of spare parts for every gun I own. Completely assembled in the form of a second one as back up. Not intending to be a jerk, and because I'm not one who can do serious gunsmithing type work that I would trust my own life to - I did that when I went to work as a cop and realized that they really don't care all that much if the stuff they issue you works or not. ("Honey, that's WHY I need another one - it's for you and the kids.") They don't make you qualify every three months to protect you in the streets when somebody's trying to kill you. They make you qualify to protect them in court when some shit stain sues the Agency because you shot somebody. I'm not bitter, I just watch and report.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 11:28:09 AM EDT by CJan_NH]
Hello coltcarbine. I figured I'd buy enough parts to maintain both of my HBARs. So far I've never, ever had a problem with either rifle that wasn't ammo related. The worst thing that's ever happened was a bad Federal match hollowpoint where the bullet actually got pushed back into the case when I chambered it. Aside from that no problems :) I've introduced scores of people to shooting with these HBARs. Even my wife (who was a staunch anti-gunner before I met her) loves to shoot them. I've gotten my money's worth many times over, and that's why I'm thinking about spares now. Are Bushmaster AR parts fully interchangable with Colt AR parts, or do I need to find a Colt specific kit? Bone made a reference to the right sized pins for my Colts. Is there an easy way to figure out what I need? Can I enter my serial #s into a database somewhere for example?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 6:36:44 PM EDT by M4_Man]
CJan_NH Most colts with the sear block have oversizes trigger and hammer pins(this is to make it more difficult to convert to a M-16 full auto trigger group). Also trigger and hammers have corresponding oversized pin holes. The diameter of these pins should be 0.168"-0.169". If you have access to a micrometer or a caliper, you can push one of the pins about 1/8" inch out and measure. Obviously, return pin to flush when finished. Colt is the only manufacturer to use these "large pin" trigger groups, so nothing else will fit. Good news is that they are readily available (or can be ordered)at most places that stocks AR-15 parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 7:36:14 PM EDT by CJan_NH]
Excellent, thank you for the info. Does this mean that the upper parts like the bolt and carrier are still interchangable? What about the springs? I was thinking about these parts kits: [url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/8448501-s.asp[/url] [url]www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/arpartskit.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2003 10:25:44 PM EDT by M4_Man]
All the parts for the upper will be interchangable. Most of the lower on the list will be, with the exception of the trigger pin and hammer pin. you can get these at http://www.sawlesales.com/ for $3.00 Not sure you will need all these parts though (looks as though SOME items would only be used to build a lower-not parts that wear). I would suggest you contact WES GRANT email mstn@midsouth.rr.com Web site http://mstn.biz/ He would steer you in the right direction to obtain the right kit for your needs. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:08:11 PM EDT
Thanks for the clarification M4_Man. I just ordered my parts [:)]
Top Top