Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/20/2003 5:55:51 PM EDT
Hi guys,

got a question for you. I picked up my brand new Rock River A2 from the gun store I ordered it from a couple of weeks ago. It's got a chromemoly "Wilson" (I don't think it's the same Wilson as Wilson Combat, right?) 20" barrel on it.

When I picked it up, in my rush to enjoy my new rifle, I took it to the range and put 40 rounds of Federal XM193 through it without break-in, (cleaning every couple of shots, etc...)

Think this will harm the bore?

I got (what I would consider) bad groups out of it but I am also getting used to the peep sight vs. the normal 1911-style sight picture.

I gave it a thorough swabbing at home, naturally. I am hoping I didn't damage the bore.

Thanks in advance.

jim
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2003 7:31:26 PM EDT by Matt_B]
No, you didn't damage the barrel. You can "re-break in" a barrel. Check out this[url=www.snipercountry.com/hottips/Breakin.htm]link[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:33:00 AM EDT
You are correct, it is a different Wilson, not Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:05:24 PM EDT
Thanks for the info and for setting my mind at ease! jim
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:10:50 AM EDT
I wouldn't sweat it. I've been shooting guns constantly for more than 40 of the last 50 years, and I never even HEARD about "barrel break-in" until Swat Sniper School came along. In fact, every agency I ever worked for issued the guns out of the box and sent you to the range with them after wiping the packing/shipping gunk out of them. Not to worry (I don't think).
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:20:26 PM EDT
FWIW, I got a Rock River a couple months back and on the back of the warranty card it said that the barrel was already broken in and not to worry about it. I got it as a complete rifle (16" HBAR, chrome moly), but I imagine their uppers get the same treatment. jafager
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:51:21 PM EDT
I have never seen any objective evidence that suggest barrel break in works.
Top Top