Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 11:50:09 PM EDT
Is it okay to used Kleen-bore copper cutter on a chrome lined barrel. I believe it IS ammonia based but isn't that okay if you don't let it set in the barrel? Or is there another copper solvent you would suggest that would be more gentle on the chrome lining but still get the job done. Thanks

Gundraw
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:29:56 PM EDT
I am planning on using Hoppe's NO. 9 Semi Auto Solvent for removing copper and lead from bore per label. Just for your info. ralph
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 12:48:10 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
Originally Posted By rhatland: I am planning on using Hoppe's NO. 9 Semi Auto Solvent.
View Quote
I made this decision awhile back and am glad I did. It doesn't leave residue like Reg. #9 does. Less residue = less stuff to attract firing residue, dust, crap etc. and turn into a Jam-A-Matic for me. YMMV. I use it on all my semi's, rifles, shotguns and pistolas. MM419
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:32:34 AM EDT
Ammonia based cleaners can be used, However if you do use them, don't let them sit in the barrel more than 15 minutes. I also use Hoppes #9, cleans chrome bores well and smells a whole lot better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:03:55 PM EDT
Just standard hoppe's #9 won't take out copper will it??? That's what I always use and always will use for a basic solvent, but I thought you had to get a special copper solvent for those 1000 rnd marks where you need to decopper the barrel?? Am I mistaken, or is this a different deal altogether. Thanks Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:17:30 AM EDT
Hoppe's #9 will not really do much for copper fouling. They do make a "benchrest" solvent that is specifically for copper removal. It doesn't seem to contain ammonia. It works pretty well but I like Sweet's better since it requires less time and effort. Hoppe's semi-auto solvent is mainly different in that it leaves the metal dry, without an oily film that #9 seems to leave.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:00:46 PM EDT
Standard #9 makes patches come out bluish/green out of my rifles, that is copper fouling I am sure. It however is not as aggressive as other copper solvents IMHO. MM419
Top Top