Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:22:23 AM EDT
I want to know what is the best way to clean your bore of your precious AR15?  Is it with a Dewey Rod or one of these snakes?  I hear that the snakes clean so thoroughly.  Is it true?  If it is true, what is the best brant.  One offerred by Georgia Pacific or OTIS? Also, if using a snake, does one still need a bore guide?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey rhatland--

I use a Volquartson .22 cable to run a CLP patch through the bore (a 3' length of heavy fish line and some tiny split shot would be a decent field-expedient) as it is just a nylon-coated 1/16" cable with a loop at one end and a weight at the other.

Then, after all else is done, the Hoppe's .223 goes down from the chamber for 2-3 trips. Works much better than a rod, and for copper fouling, the mop contains Sweet's 7.62 or similar.

I have heard NOT to leave the bore wet with CLP after cleaning; the chrome could flake off.

Regards,

FastVFR800
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I never see these mentioned.  I love these Graphite rods by Hoppe's.  I think they are better than Dewey (never used a Dewey, just eye'ed it at the store).

[img]http://www.hoppes.com/images/hoppes.gif[/img]

No longer do professionals and serious sportsmen have to fear inadvertent metal contact that can harm fine rifling and affect accuracy.These new one-piece graphite cleaning rods were created by Hoppe's to eliminate worries.Combining high strength and light weight, these rods are 100% graphite, not coated metal that can chip and peel. The advanced design has a comfortable, ergonomic handle too-the rifle rod even rotates to follow delicate barrel rifling. Length 36 inches.

[url]http://www.hoppes.com/m_hoppes_p.asp?grpky=446[/url]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I want to thank the two respondents.  One for snake style and one for a graphite one piece rod.  There have been almost 60 readers that want to know.  So it looks like there is high interest in knowledgeable folks to respond.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Dewey rods in the shop and the Otis kit at the range.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, there is no single "right" answer.  It is based on your priorities.

There are two main camps here.  On group of campers prefer the quick method of cleaning.  Just get the main crud out.  These people prefer the Snake.  Quick-N-Simple.  Nothing wrong with this approach.  They will argue that too much cleaning will harm the rifling.  This has some merit.

The other campers (me too) prefer the more careful and complete cleaning.  These people do NOT use snakes.  Only a rod will get all stubburn grim out of the barrel. Myself, I probably clean the barrel too well.  I use Sweet's (copper-remover) for every cleaning.  Folowed by a hot water rinse.  Blow dry with air compressor.  Dry under heat lamp for 48 hours.  Then a few passes with CLP and one dry patch to remove excess CLP.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there really a problem with leaving CLP in the barrel? If so, I have some barrels to clean.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It's sort of like sex. Are you in the mood for a quickie or is it time to light the candles [:D]

I use both a snake and a rod. Just depends on the time factor.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's sort of like sex. Are you in the mood for a quickie or is it time to light the candles [:D]

I use both a snake and a rod. Just depends on the time factor.

View Quote

with regards to sex or to cleaning the rifle ???  [booze]

Signed,
Cheap Shot
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there really a problem with leaving CLP in the barrel? If so, I have some barrels to clean.
View Quote

There is No problem with CLP remaining in barrels.  There is NO ammonia in Break Free CLP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks G35, I was worried for a bit.

-drew
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top