Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 4:51:39 PM EDT
I've run a lot of patches through my barrel and never gotten a 100% clean patch.  Should the patches be totally white or is it normal to be able to only get a light grey on parts of the patch?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine come out white.

When they do I lube the crap out of a patch with CLP and run it down the bbl.

Done.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Light gray is just fine, especially if your barrel is chrome lined.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Light gray is OK.  Don't get too anal about it.  You'll waste more patches than the good you'll get from a white final pass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i get the same thing, i ran 15 patches with hoppes #9 and FP-10 CLP on my m4 today, still a light grey even after running a brush through.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Since the academy I have had to use Tetra gun on my working weapons, so I have tried to stay with that...

You will never see a white patch if the weapon has a penetrating type cleaner in the bore.

pat
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop using any type of oil or solvent when running the patches through the bore and they’ll ultimately start coming out white.

But as soon as you run some oil or solvent through the bore, the patches will start coming out gray again.

At some point you just need to decide to stop and not worry about it!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Clean your chamber well then try again.  

I use a bore guide;  when brushing, crud comes back into the chamber.  Once I must have run 40 patches through, tried everything, they were still coming out black and oily - they were picking it up from the chamber, once I cleaned that, the patches came out clean.

No matter how clean you get a barrel, lube it and run a patch through next time you take the gun out - a little more dirt will have soaked out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top