Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 3:27:38 PM EDT
In the upper receiver, right outside the cam pin recess, on the corner there is a shiny scuff that is visible when I wipe off the carbon. It is no longer black. I realize that the finish has worn off. I can't feel a difference in layer from the shiny to the black, it is smooth and there is still an edge at the shiny corner. It's been like that after the first 700 rounds through the rifle. The rifle is now at about 3000 rounds. Is this ok? The receiver isn't wearing away is it? Is this wear normal? Finally, is there anything I can do to restore the finish.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:52:06 PM EDT
Alright. I am a computer moron and can't get this pic online. Could anyone post a pick of the inside of the upper receiver, the left side where the little bowl is in the side of the receiver. I think that is where the cam pin goes when it turns. Anyways, I want to see a comparison. See if my rifle is ok. This would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:04:15 PM EDT
i will host it for ya.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:57:04 PM EDT
I know exactly what your talking about.The back edge of the recess is being contacted by the cam pin.My Armalite got the worn/bright spot within the first 50 rounds. I contacted Armalite and emailed them a picture.They said it was normal and that the cam pin was just making itself a home.Wear would stop once things were broken in,and it did. Raymond
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:10:18 AM EDT
OK. Thanks for both of your guys offers/input. Me, being retarded, can't even figure out how to download the cam pics to the comp. Cord is in, software installed. Camera program just says it cannot connect to the damn thing. :/ Damn computer has to be smarter than me... Anyways, so you also have a little groove at the back of the recess? Like a silvery track? I thought those were machined. Oh well. From the looks of it it hasn't changed since the first 700 rounds. It is normal and broken in? No abnormal wear or exploding gun? Yes, I am paranoid. Thanks for the info Blankwaffe98.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:06:59 PM EDT
Silvery track???????? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Kidding of course. Your fine. I know it's hard to watch a beauty wear in but thats the trade off for shooting' em! Mine have always done the same thing. I wouldnt worry about refinishing since it will most likely come right off again and won't protect or make the reciever last any longer either way. Just keep it good and lubed and your on track! Take er easy!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:10:52 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I am building me an AR soon, so I will know not to worry and think I have two messed up rifles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:20:39 AM EDT
I'm not trying to be short or brash but, it's called wear. It will happen and it's normal, shoot that iron and be happy.
Top Top