Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 8:24:31 AM EDT
noticed some surface rust on my shotgun this weekend...
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How about buying a Goldenrod?  It's a small metal tube that contains an electrical heating element that helps to keep the humidity down in your safe by circulating warm, dry air. If you're set on a dessicant, Brownell's has several different sizes and styles.  Here's a link to one of the styles they carry.
[url] http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1152[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
i had some advice on this forum about kitty litter, not the clay type but 100% silica-gel, the same stuff in the desicant packs. i got mine at pet supermarket. it was $8.00 for 10 pounds. it is the round sphere type. i just filled a sock up half way, tie wraped the end, and moisture control for my gun safe. and it is alot cheaper than buying pre packaged desicant packs. if you have a pet supermarket, petco or petsmart in your area then they'll have it. just look at the bags for the ingredients, pure silica-gel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i had some advice on this forum about kitty litter, not the clay type but 100% silica-gel, the same stuff in the desicant packs. i got mine at pet supermarket. it was $8.00 for 10 pounds. it is the round sphere type. i just filled a sock up half way, tie wraped the end, and moisture control for my gun safe. and it is alot cheaper than buying pre packaged desicant packs. if you have a pet supermarket, petco or petsmart in your area then they'll have it. just look at the bags for the ingredients, pure silica-gel.
View Quote

I did the same exact thing...also used an old cotton sock.  An elegant solution, cheap and effective.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also use flower drying compound. You can get it at most hobby shops, like hobby lobby or garden ridge. I use it in
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You didn't pee on it, did you ???

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadAvatar.asp?sAccountUnq=17513[/img]
Nice Avatar you have [beer]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You didn't pee on it, did you ???

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadAvatar.asp?sAccountUnq=17513[/url]
Nice Avatar you have [beer]
View Quote

Thanks!

put it together with a couple of pics from the web, and at some point I think someone copied it with the french flag...  friggin theives...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
put it together with a couple of pics from the web, and at some point I think someone copied it with the french flag...  friggin theives...
View Quote

So you 'borrowed' the original pics to make it and yet others that also 'borrow' it are theives???

Less of course, that pissing boy was designed and drawn by you.. Then you have every right to be pissed!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does this really work? I thought that desicant packs were more receptive to water in vapor form. The kitty gel stuff didn't quite collect all the stuff our 3 cats put out, so we had to revert back to the clay. I have to wonder if it will take up vaporized moisture as well as desicants. Goldenrod would probably be the best solution, albeit a more expensive one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Master_Blaster,
it's exactly the same stuff that is in the desicant packs, 100% silica-gel, it's no different. to recharge the silica-gel, place in a pre heated oven at 250 degrees and heat for three hours. the litter is so cheap i just throw it away after about two to three weeks. i live in florida where it is always wet, yes it does absorb all the moisture out of my gun safe. i have a moisture indicator strip in the safe, and it always stays in the blue. when saturated with moisture this one turns pink. it hasn't yet.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, j_r.

We've got PetsMarts & Petco's everywhere over here, so I can buy kitty gel by the boatload. This is great!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Where do I get these indicator strips???
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Me to, where you get them strips??
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
i bought these at suncoast gun show in deland florida. the vendor was selling desicant packs that came with the indicator strips. the desicant is long gone but i kept the strips. placed them under the sock filled with silica-gel litter. when the first and center circles turns pink, recharge the silica-gel or replace with fresh, replace the strip under the sock, and in a few minutes check the strip,it turns blue again. there maybe some type of device or gauge that measures humidity in an enclosed area. i'll do a search and check it out. found these. i'm going to check my pet stores for these, if not, i'll order these online. these'll work great stuck on the inside of your safe door.
[url]www.petguys.com/-097612300210.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Save your money on the Golden rods they don't do shit.  I have one in my safe and it's junk.  I put a digital humidity/temp gague that I got at walmart for about 15 bucks in my safe also and the humidity gets up to 60-75% on damp or humid days.  I now leave my rope lite (another walmart special) on 24-7 and it'll keep it in the 50% area.  I'm only using the rope lite until I get a dehumidifier(sp?) because its a fire hazard.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Save your money on the Golden rods they don't do shit.  I have one in my safe and it's junk.  I put a digital humidity/temp gague that I got at walmart for about 15 bucks in my safe also and the humidity gets up to 60-75% on damp or humid days.  I now leave my rope lite (another walmart special) on 24-7 and it'll keep it in the 50% area.  I'm only using the rope lite until I get a dehumidifier(sp?) because its a fire hazard.

View Quote

Heh, this is too funny... Golden rods do the exact same thing the rope lights do. As long as they are the same wattage the results will be exactly the same. 25 watts of rope lights will equal 25 watts of golden rods. Of course this works with any light source whatsoever. If you use a 100 watt bulb, and 100 watts worth of golden rods you will get the same results. So, had you upped the number or the size of the golden rod to equal what the rope lights were using wattage wise, you would get the exact same humidity reading.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#16]
went to PetSuperMarket to look for humidity indicators. they had the humidity indicator strips. they are for checking humidity in reptile enclosures. they are about the same thing i got with my desicant packs, only these stick to the walls of your safe. i bought one and it works great. now when i open the door of the safe, i just look straight back and can read the moisture content of the safe. price: $3.50.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Heh, this is too funny... Golden rods do the exact same thing the rope lights do. As long as they are the same wattage the results will be exactly the same. 25 watts of rope lights will equal 25 watts of golden rods. Of course this works with any light source whatsoever. If you use a 100 watt bulb, and 100 watts worth of golden rods you will get the same results. So, had you upped the number or the size of the golden rod to equal what the rope lights were using wattage wise, you would get the exact same humidity reading.
View Quote

I just checked and my rope lite was 33 watts.  This was just enough to keep my 59" X 21" X 17 3/4" inch safe(on the small side for a gun safe) in the 50% humidity range.  The largest Goldenrod is the 36" model and is 25 watts.  Also it says in the instructions to mount horizontally at the bottom of an inclosure to work effectively. that means that your safe has to be 36" wide to mount It properly.  Well if your safe is 36" wide I doubt that only 25 watts is going to do shit to dry it out.

Bullet do you use A goldenrod in your safe, if so how big is it(the safe and the goldenrod) and how humid does it get inside.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Of course I use golden rods, all sizes, depending on the safe. Biggest I use is the 24 in model, but.. I could put a 36 in model into my 40 in wide safe. You know.. for your rope lights to be as 'efficient' as the golden rods they would need to be at the bottom and horizontal as well. I have one safe that has 4 golden rods in it, it's kept in the basement where the humidity is a bit higher. So, use the size that will fit into the safe and mount more than one to up the wattage.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top